deleting typed URLs in Vista

palinka 13:10 PM 14 Apr 12

THis problem has existed ever since I began using Vista - long ago. In XP, ME etc, etc there was a method of deleting typed URLs that one no longer wanted (in my case usually because they were inaccurate). In Vista it seems to be impossible. Yes I can go through the process that worked in previous OSs, but the URLs simply re-appear. Any solutions, please. And apologies if I asked the same question a long time ago - i didn't receive a solution then and the problem is still annoying me.

difarn 17:55 PM 14 Apr 12

Can you tell me where you want to delete them from?

palinka 20:25 PM 14 Apr 12

I want to delete them from the list that drops down (in IE)when I click the down arrow - in other words the URLs that I've already typed at some time & could now select to save re-typing. Vista allows a shorter list than older OSs did so it' a nuisance to have 8sable URLs not appear in the list when other - inaccurate ones - still do.

difarn 21:54 PM 14 Apr 12

I assume that you have tried deleting them in IE history?

You can disable autocomplete which should mean that the URL's are not stored

Open Internet Explorer. Click Tools and then Internet Options. In the Internet Options window click the Content tab. Click the AutoComplete button. Uncheck web page addresses.

Hope this helps.

BurrWalnut 14:52 PM 18 Apr 12

If you still haven't solved it, remove unwanted IE address bar URLs in the registry. Open a Run window (Windows Logo key+R), type regedit, press Enter then navigate to HKEYCURRENTUSER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\TypedURLs. In the right pane, right-click and delete those that are unwanted.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 4 UK release date, price and specs: Thinner, lighter, faster with new Type Cover and Pen

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Territory delivers realistic NASA screens for The Martian - as they will be in 20 years time

21 brilliant tips for Mac OS X El Capitan: The best new Mac features in OS X 10.11