deleting partitions

conrail 11:41 19 Jan 09

using vista home premium 64bit sp1, one external HD and one USB key both appear to have been partitioned? I want to delete these partitions,have gone into disc management, as I did in XP, right clicking the the partition I want to delete I click on shrink and set ammount of space to 0 but the shrink button is greyed out, right clicking on the main partition the extend volume is greyed out, how can I remove these two partitions on these drives, thanks

BurrWalnut 14:06 19 Jan 09

Have you deleted the partition, i.e. creating 'unallocated space'?

conrail 16:24 19 Jan 09

thanks BurrWalnut, that has worked on the external hd but the usb key options are greyed out, it has the 2 partitions, one I can use with 16mb and the unallocated partition with 15mb, the drive is shown as <name> (E)(W), it is asigned letter E

gazzaho 04:28 20 Jan 09

I read somewhere that some USB keys have hidden partitions on them with software stored there which runs when inserted, you can sometimes download a program from their manufacturers web site to remove the software and partition, I don't own any like this myself but you could try the USB key makers web site for something similar.

This guy seems to have the same problem you do, there's also a link there to a program that might work.

click here

conrail 14:49 20 Jan 09

thanks gazzaho, that nhas sorted it

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…