Deleting files with names that are too long

misterslate64 10:29 AM 24 Jun 12

I have two .csv files on my desktop that have names that are too long, windows 7 will not let me delete them or change the names to shorten them, I can drag them around the desktop and that is about all I can do. Heelllpppp

misterslate64 10:37 AM 24 Jun 12

Each file is 237 characters long not including the .csv

chub_tor 10:58 AM 24 Jun 12

A Google search of the problem shows that some people have had success with Unlocker others have used the Command Prompt that is available in Windows.

misterslate64 13:10 PM 24 Jun 12

'fraid Command Prompt nor Unlocker worked

difarn 14:57 PM 24 Jun 12

Read a blog that gave this solution:-

Make a shortcut to the recycle bin put the folder in there empty the recycle bin shortcut delete the shortcut

lotvic 16:15 PM 24 Jun 12

The file manager in free prog 7zip is far more powerful than Windows Explorer you could try that to delete them. http://www.7-zip.org/

In 7zip you just navigate to the file highlight it and click on delete.

ams4127 18:15 PM 24 Jun 12

Try right clicking the file and changing the name to something shorter.

chub_tor 09:56 AM 26 Jun 12

A further search has come up with this suggestion......

*"Find the folder in question in Explorer, Shift-Right-click and select Open Command Prompt here. Type "dir /x" (no quotes) to reveal the short file names next to the long file names. Then "del" (no quotes) and the short file name."*

Good luck

Advertisement

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to watch Sony Xperia Z5 launch live: Sony Xperia Z5 live video stream from IFA 2015 - watch…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How Google's new logo was redesigned

What to expect at the September Apple event: Apple announces 9 September event, sends out invites