Deleting files with names that are too long

misterslate64 24 Jun 12

I have two .csv files on my desktop that have names that are too long, windows 7 will not let me delete them or change the names to shorten them, I can drag them around the desktop and that is about all I can do. Heelllpppp

misterslate64 24 Jun 12

Each file is 237 characters long not including the .csv

chub_tor 24 Jun 12

A Google search of the problem shows that some people have had success with Unlocker others have used the Command Prompt that is available in Windows.

misterslate64 24 Jun 12

'fraid Command Prompt nor Unlocker worked

difarn 24 Jun 12

Read a blog that gave this solution:-

Make a shortcut to the recycle bin put the folder in there empty the recycle bin shortcut delete the shortcut

lotvic 24 Jun 12

The file manager in free prog 7zip is far more powerful than Windows Explorer you could try that to delete them. http://www.7-zip.org/

In 7zip you just navigate to the file highlight it and click on delete.

ams4127 24 Jun 12

Try right clicking the file and changing the name to something shorter.

chub_tor 26 Jun 12

A further search has come up with this suggestion......

*"Find the folder in question in Explorer, Shift-Right-click and select Open Command Prompt here. Type "dir /x" (no quotes) to reveal the short file names next to the long file names. Then "del" (no quotes) and the short file name."*

Good luck

Advertisement

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Windows 10 Home vs Windows 10 Pro comparison: Here are the extra features you get in the Pro version

Why Formula-e needs to go faster

How Instagram spots trends

How to use Apple Music in the UK: Complete guide to Apple Music's features

We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message