Delete System Folder in Vista

geraintjo 11:32 AM 05 Nov 09

I have a redundant folder of System Files which hold 14.5GB. I have tried many ways to delete the folder, by changing ownership etc but the system won't allow it. It continues to say I need permission even though I am administrator. The folder is a left over from when i had a back up of my system on the hard drive and is now redundant.
Any help much appreciated.
geraintjo

mrwoowoo 18:17 PM 05 Nov 09

You may be able to do it if you disable UAC.
In control panel > user accounts and click on turn user account control on or off.
You can always turn it back on after.
Be 100% sure that these files are ok to delete.

Pine Man 18:43 PM 05 Nov 09

Have you tried it in safe mode?

geraintjo 14:56 PM 06 Nov 09

Files are OK to dlete as they are definately redundant. Have tried disabling UAC, no luck, have tried safe mode, no luck.
geraintjo

rdave13 18:37 PM 06 Nov 09

Try to take ownership; click here

geraintjo 13:28 PM 15 Nov 09

Have tried that previously without luck. However, your instructions seem clearer so will try again.
thanks

canarieslover 13:46 PM 15 Nov 09

I have found in Vista, that, if you are viewing files in the folder that you want to delete, then it won't let you delete that folder. Try opening a different folder then right click on folder you wish to delete and select delete from menu.

geraintjo 18:31 PM 17 Nov 09

Two responses. "canarieslover" - didn't make any difference opening another folder.

"rdave13" - followed your instructions but still failed. response was I need permission to delete. When i looked at the permissions, I had full control and all other entries were ticked except Special Permissions. That was only ticked for SYSTEM which had all entries ticked, user and trusted installer only had special permissions ticked.
Any ideas??
geraintjo

badhair1963 20:57 PM 17 Nov 09
  geraintjo 14:15 PM 20 Nov 09

badhair13 - had warning that the site you suggested is unsafe. Can you comment please.

rdave13 16:05 PM 20 Nov 09

I get the same warning. Possibly from defender?
Another link for downloading file and folder unlocker; click here
I have never used it so cannot recommend or otherwise.

Advertisement

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sony Xperia Z5 review: Hands-on with the phone which the Z3+ should have been

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How to choose a photographer

iPhone 6S preview: What to expect from Apple's next iPhone