Delete old Winsows file

saracen2013 15:18 PM 30 Nov 13

I need to make space on my C: directory which is nearly full. It seems that windows is occupying nearly 36 GB.............. details :-

FOLDER Windows ..... location C:/...........16.94 GB
............"....Windows Old ....location C:/............10.85 GB
............"... Windows.........location C:/Windows/old..8.98 GB

can I move any of these folders especially - windows old - to "D" drive by simply "CUT" & "PASTE" ? my operating syst is windows 7 home premium.

Jollyjohn 15:52 PM 30 Nov 13

The Windows Old files are what the system has preserved when a re install has taken place. If you are confident you have all your personal data the yes go ahead and delete these files.

You can move them to D: if you wish, simply drag & drop, holding down shift key to Move rather than Copy.

You could also move your "My Documents" etc folders to D: - Google for a guide to moving folders, it is quite straight forward. This gives a measure of protection to your data should you need to re install windows again.

rdave13 17:06 PM 30 Nov 13

The best way to remove win.old folders is to run Disk Cleanup. The old folders might not show up the first time you run it so run it again. Click here.

alanrwood 12:46 PM 01 Dec 13

DON@T move C:\Windows or any of its sub folders. That's where Windows itself is installed

alanrwood 12:48 PM 01 Dec 13

Sorry I meant

DON'T move C:\Windows or any of its sub folders. That's where Windows itself is installed.

Stick fingers!!!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best Black Friday deals 2015 live blog: Best UK Black Friday deals & best UK Black Friday tech…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This 4K screen is purpose-built for showcasing digital art

20 Mac Power User Tricks... That You Didn't Know