Decrypt Vista backup files to put on an XP pc

grumpy-git 15:15 24 Jan 08

Bought a new Vista laptop & transferred across all my Outlook Express e-mail folders from the XP machine, expecting that I would be using the laptop for the forseeable future. Same with some web sites I was working on.

I wasn't expecting the laptop to be, shall we say "useless", and that the files would be restored once I got it back again. So now I need to try & get some of those files back again, otherwise everything done during the 3 weeks of owning that new laptop has been lost. Obviously "if" I buy another Vista machine I can access them.

Is there any way to extract/decrypt files from the zip files onto an XP machine? Had a look on the Microsoft site, but didn't make much progress there.

g-g

grumpy-git 14:09 04 Feb 08

Now have another Vista pc but it seems it won't read a set of backup files from another pc.

Got most of what I wanted from an Acronis backup.

I'll mark it as resolved, although there seems no "actual" solution to reading Vista backups.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sony Xperia XZ Premium review: Hands-on with the new 4K HDR phone with Motion Eye camera and Snapdr5…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best laptop for design and art 2017: we test Apple, Dell, HP, Lenovo and Microsoft's most powerful…

Apple Watch 2 vs Huawei Watch 2 comparison review: watch out for 4G smartwatches Apple