D link router and Windows 7

Jollyjohn 11:25 02 Aug 10

I attempted to install a D link DSL-G624T router as a replacement for a faulty BT Hone hub but the Compaq desktop running W7 would not connect. I could not open the router set up page.
The router was not listed under ipconfig /all.
I dont use W7 much - have I missed something?
Thanks.

Al94 11:30 02 Aug 10

Have you connected it by ethernet cable to set up?

Jollyjohn 11:34 02 Aug 10

Yes.
Have brought it home and checked the router, works fine with WXP.
Used same ethernet cable in both locations.

mgmcc 13:00 02 Aug 10

A router won't be shown in ipconfig /all because it isn't installed in a computer, either as hardware or as software. It is simply a network device to which computers connect, either by ethernet cable or 'wirelessly', using TCP/IP protocol.

What ipconfig /all should show is the router's IP address as a network adapter's Default Gateway address. The adapter's IP address should then be in the same Subnet (IP address range) as the the router.

Connecting to a router by ethernet cable with Windows 7 should be no different from any other version of Windows. What does ipconfig /all actually show when you do this?

I use Windows 7 64-bit connected wirelessly to a D-Link Router.

Jollyjohn 14:52 02 Aug 10

Cant remember all the listing under ipconfig /all but there was no default gateway listed.
I know the routers set up page to be 192.168.1.0 but when this didnt work I tried ipconfig to confirm I had the correct address.
W7 was saying it was an unidentified network with no internet connection.

mgmcc 16:21 02 Aug 10

The Router's own IP address *COULDN'T* be 192.168.1.0 because that is a Subnet address (i.e. it covers all addresses between 192.168.1.1 and 192.168.1.254). Its address is probably 192.168.0.1 which should open the configuration pages.

Try allocating fixed addresses and see if that works:

IP address - 192.168.0.5

Subnet Mask - 255.255.255.0

Default Gateway - 192.168.0.1 (the Router's IP address)

DNS Server - 192.168.0.1 (the Router's IP address)

Jollyjohn 12:02 03 Aug 10

Sorry for delay in coming back, been to work for the night.
Routers address is 192.168.1.1 - just checked it out on my laptop.
Thinking about the setup, whilst driving and bored, I am guessing I might have been to eager on the set up on the W7 computer. I had attached the phone line as well and the router found a dsl signal.
Obviously I needed to change the username and password but could not access the router page to do so.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Prehistoric Britain is laid out in these Royal Mail stamp illustrations

Best running headphones | Best sport & fitness headphones: 4 brilliant pairs of wireless…