D Drive question.......

747tech 11:23 01 Nov 08

My new Laptop (HP Pavilion dv6527ea) did not come with a back up/recovery disc and I think it uses a portion of the hard disk for recovery purposes(D Drive)?

I've bought a recovery disc from HP (£25??) and ive done back up of files and folders to CD.

So my question is can I 'release' the space on D drive so that I just have one larger C drive?

sinbads 23:04 01 Nov 08

I don't understand why you had to buy a recovery disk, In hp help and support files there is an oppertunity to create one set of restore disks. and info regards deleteing the recovery partition you would need to check this issue with the manual.

To be honest your money would have been better spent on click here restoring to factory settings can be a pain it will not have ms updates or any programs or settings etc etc all these things will be gone and you will have to start from scratch.

However with true image restoration will be as and when you created the restore image or images.think you'll find most would recomend TI 11

747tech 23:27 01 Nov 08

Yes I tried to make my own recovery disc but it wouldnt let me. I spoke to HP support and they said that you only get a month to make the disc??

I bought the laptop from Tesco as an ex display model so asked them if they had made one but the response was that this model doesnt come with one but you can make your own. So, full circle on that.

From what your saying It looks like I've wasted 25quid.I guess I'll keep the D drive as it is.
Thanks for reply.

jarvis10@btinternet.com 00:44 02 Nov 08

i had a hp, about 3 years ago, it took me over 6 months to get round to buying a single use dvd to make the recovery disk, it burns the D drive onto the disk and gives the option at the end to remove the D drive, as it is no longer needed.
start> all programs> accessories> system tools> recovery tools as i remember.
i thought you only had to buy one, if for example you had never made a back up and the whole hard drive packed up.

mazuk 15:33 22 Nov 08

I think the whole point of this D:\ is to hold all the data needed to allow you to restore to factory default i presume it is all part of some quality assurance they send manufactured machines with these days.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sniper Elite 4 review: Headshotting Nazis has never felt so good

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Best Design, Illustration, Animation and VFX Awards of 2017

WWDC 2017 dates: How to get WWDC 2017 tickets, when is WWDC 2017 and more details announced