Creative Xfi Extreme audio + SP1

Esc4p3 23:28 03 Jun 08

Just an update for everyone, up until now I had not been offered SP1 due to my soundcard drivers. However, SP1 was offered to me over the weekend on windows update and with some fingers crossed and a full backup & restore point it has now installed successfully in about 30 minutes - everything seems to be working OK.

Experience on these forums suggests it may not go as smoothly for everyone though ;-)

Pine Man 09:14 04 Jun 08

Interesting, I have the same sound card but no offer - yet.

Pine Man 09:19 04 Jun 08

Just a thought - which drivers are you using for your XFi card?

Esc4p3 10:17 04 Jun 08

I am using the original drivers from the Creative Install CD (the one supplied by Evesham when they send the PC). I tried the updated Creative Xfi drivers but they caused more harm than good.

Pine Man 10:43 04 Jun 08

Thanks for that, and did you try installing the 'non-offered' SP1 download before you were offered SP1 by Windows Update?

Esc4p3 12:56 04 Jun 08

No, seeing feedback on this site about potential issues with downloading the full version of SP1, I decided to wait until windows update offered SP1. I was surprised to see SP1 appear though, as I have not changed anything, perhaps Microsoft have made a slight change to take account of the driver issue?

Pine Man 16:10 04 Jun 08

I, being impatient, tried the mammoth download when it was first released and it didn't work. I then completely uninstalled the Creative software and removed all trace from the registry but it still didn't offer me the update so I tried the mammoth download again. It worked for a few days and then threw up all sorts of problems. The, only, beauty of it is that it uninstalls perfectly!

I must be more patient and, maybe one day, Mr Gates will see fit to allow me into his very select SP1 club!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

Where HTML5 is headed next

MacBook Pro v Surface Pro 5