Copying email addresses back after re-install Windows 7 64bit

jonem81 17:31 02 Sep 13

I am about to try copying email addresses back after re-installing Windows 7 64bit. During the re-installation, I was asked if I wanted to back-up my files, and I clicked yes to this. I now have about 6.6GB of saved files on 2 discs , but I only want to exract the email addresses, at the moment. Question is, is it easy to 'see' what I am re-installing from the 2 discs, to enable me to select what I want to re-install, rather than put back the whole of the 2 discs - ( which may contain corrupted files)? I want to do the same with 'Favourites', as well, so any help on this matter would be greatly appreciated.

jonem81

chub_tor 18:09 02 Sep 13
  jonem81 10:02 03 Sep 13

chub_tor

Many thanks for your reply, but it is a bit confusing for me.

" Question is, is it easy to 'see' what I am re-installing from the 2 discs, to enable me to select what I want to re-install, rather than put back the whole of the 2 discs - ( which may contain corrupted files)? I want to do the same with 'Favourites', as well."

The article refers to files actually on the PC, so why did I have to have a backup during the new istallation? Also, the PC's OS was/is not XP,but Windows 7 HOME PREMIUM and the article seems to refer to XP. Can I not just insert the saved files that I have on discs, and choose which ones to re-install?

Thanks again for your help,

jonem81

chub_tor 10:50 03 Sep 13

I'm not sure what format the files were saved in on your CD's when you did your re-installation, if they are just the raw non-compressed files then you can just copy them back to their original location.

But I would also do as the article I linked to suggests and look on your hard drive to see if there is a file called Windows.old. That I do know contains the original raw files.

jonem81 12:21 03 Sep 13

chub_tor

Again, thanks so much for your ongoing help. The files were saved by " Do you want to create a backup before continuing"? And, yes, i did! Having said that, I don't know also, what format they were then saved as. But I will follow your advice, and search my PC for the old.Windows files, and if I spot them, I will try to place them back where they originally came from. It was a great help to know that I will be able to see the original files in their raw state.

I will let you know how I get on, Thanks again,

jonem81

lotvic 13:23 03 Sep 13

If you want to 'see' what you have on the CDs, put one in tray and look in Windows Explorer.

If you are worried that 'something might happen' hold down the Shift key all the time while with other hand you put CD in. Wait until all CD drive activity stops before you let go of Shift key. (this stops a CD from autorunning so that you can then explore the contents)

jonem81 15:32 11 Sep 13

chub_tor lotvic

Great!

Thanks for your help!

jonem81

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sony Xperia XZ Premium review: Hands-on with the new 4K HDR phone with Motion Eye camera and Snapdr5…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best laptop for design and art 2017: we test Apple, Dell, HP, Lenovo and Microsoft's best models…

CarPlay tips & troubleshooting guide: CarPlay tips & troubleshooting guide: Get the most from…