Copying desktop icon to Start menu

An Teallach 14:34 PM 20 Feb 13

The right-click option for copying a desk-top icon to the Start Menu in Windows 8 has disappeared. How can I get this facility back, please?

An Teallach 15:24 PM 20 Feb 13

Oh no it doesn't! It used to do so a week ago, but not now. The only 11 options are consistently: Open / Open File Location / Troubleshoot Compatibility / Unpin from Taskbar / BitDefender / Send To (9 places but not Start Menu) / Cut / Copy / Create Shortcut / Delete / Rename / Properties. It is happening with all desktop icons,

An Teallach 15:32 PM 20 Feb 13

Apologies, I misread your response because it didn't answer my specific question. The reason I want to place each icon onto the desktop before placing it onto the Start menu is that it gives me the chance to edit the title; for example, instead of the too-long wordy "Microsoft Excel 2010", I want just "Excel". I was able to do this a week ago, but no longer.

rdave13 16:30 PM 20 Feb 13

Have you been using a regisrty cleaner?

This should get your 'pin to start' in the context menu back, http://www.eightforums.com/tutorials/15624-pin-start-files-windows-8-a.html

An Teallach 17:02 PM 21 Feb 13

Thank you, but it hasn't worked, there's no change. The 'Pin to Start' option appears when right-clicking some desk-top icons only, as before, but not the ones I am interested in. I have reluctantly given up. [I tried in twice, rebooting after each attempt]

rdave13 17:18 PM 21 Feb 13

Try right clicking the short cut icon, properties,open file location, then right clicking the .exe? Does the 'pin to start' appear there?

Advertisement

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Windows 10 release date, price, features UK: Free upgrade available July 29 with 10 years of free…

Why Vodafone’s frequency choice should interest you: The benefits of 800MHz

Digital visionaries discuss Designing the Future

Apple Pay UK launch guide and participating UK banks: HSBC, First Direct finally support Apple Pay