copy installed software

catpwss 19:00 31 Jan 11

hello,Over the past week i have had a new compaq laptop with windos 7.In this laptop there is a piece of software included with the laptop its 'microsoft works'.now I'm having my desktop converted from xp to windows 7 tomorrow is there any way that i can copy that MW from the laptop so I can install it on the desktop.
Would it be possible please.
thanks.c.

GaT7 19:34 31 Jan 11

Probably not possible, but worth a try with the free PickMeApp (free only because it's in beta form). User manual click here.

MW is confirmed compatible with Win7 (32-bit click here & 64-bit click here), but if your new desktop is going to have 64-bit Win7, you'll not be able to do it.

In other words, one usually cannot transfer from a 32-bit OS (your old XP) to a 64-bit OS (your new Win7).

However, if PickMeApp has the option to transfer to any folder you choose, then choose the C:\Program Files (x86) folder on the Win7 PC to transfer your MW program to. This is where 32-bit programs are installed by default in a Win7 64-bit system, & might just work.

If it doesn't work, your options are:
- Use an alternative office program, e.g. OpenOffice click here, or
- Buy a new version of MW - a related Amazon search click here
- Buy a new/secondhand version of MW from eBay - a related search click here

Before buying, ensure the version works with your Win7 type. G

GaT7 19:35 31 Jan 11

PickMeApp link click here. G

Strawballs 20:04 31 Jan 11

Even if it were possible it would not be legal as you only have a licence for works on the laptop it came pre-installed on as it is an OEM version.

You would need to do as crossbow 7 suggested or buy a copy of word or better still download and install a copy of the free office alternative Open Office which the latest version is compatable with office. click here

GaT7 21:24 31 Jan 11

"...it would not be legal as you only have a licence for works on the laptop it came pre-installed on as it is an OEM version."

That's true Strawballs - thanks for that. G

catpwss 08:20 01 Feb 11

Thanks all,A friend of mine called last night and he had a microsoft works 7 disc that he dont use anymore.And hopefully it should work with windows 7.
Thanks for help.c.

bremner 11:52 01 Feb 11

You may have a problem with Works 7.

It is not shown as compatable on the Windows 7 compatability site click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Why ecommerce hasn't taken off on social media

New MacBook Pro 2016 review | MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review: Apple's expensive and powerful…