compatability for older programs

baa 12:21 PM 27 Jan 12

I am going to buy a new computer with windows 7. I have older versions of office (2007) and adobe photoshop. I do not feel inclined to buy the current versions. Will they run on windows 7, also does it have a run in older mode as XP has. Also how do I transfer my 2 year Norton security (bought as an upgrade online)to the new machine?

ams4127 12:34 PM 27 Jan 12

Office 2007 and Photoshop will run fine without having to use XP mode.

I'm not too sure about Norton, but why not use Microsoft Security Essentials? It's free, and works very well. Other free security programmes you might consider are: AVG, Avast, Avira.

Ibanez2010 12:41 PM 27 Jan 12

Yep, I'd agree with using Microsoft Security Essentials instead of Norton.

difarn 13:08 PM 27 Jan 12

Here is an article explaining how to transfer your Norton subscription using a USB drive.

You should have set up an account with Norton so will have a password. Also your product key is stored in your account if you have forgotten it. Here is a link to get into your account if you need it.

I have used Norton for years without problem so I guess it's just a matter of preference.

Do you know that you can use Windows Easy Transfer to transfer files, music, settings etc. from XP to Windows 7 - here is an article explaining this.

baa 16:46 PM 28 Jan 12

Many thanks for your help. The problem is now sorted. Baa

difarn 16:59 PM 28 Jan 12

Glad to help - thanks for letting us know.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best Android apps 2015/2016: Best apps for your new phone or tablet - what apps should I download?

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Uniqlo uses your brain waves to find your perfect T-shirt

What everyone thinks of the new Steve Jobs movie | 21 Facts about the Steve Jobs film | PLUS:…