codecs for vista

SteevWatson 13:18 20 Oct 06

Hi
I've installed Vista RC1 dual boot with XPMCE on my media PC. Everything seems to e working well driver wise. Now I need to install some codecs to be able to watch some of my videos etc.

What are your experiences with vista and codecs?Are there any which should be avoided like the plague or will the ones for XP work fine?

Thanks

Steve

Noelg23 13:41 20 Oct 06

some of them will need to run in compatibility mode for XP SP2...other than that you will be fine...word of warning tho!! do not install the Codec Community Pack (or CCCP as its more known). This has every single codec know to man, but if you plan on converting movies to DVD using Nero Vision, the video will cause Nero to crash. My advice would be to install each codec individually: x264, AC3 filter and Decoder, DivX, 3ivX, FFDShow and Matroska Pack (which I think includes FFDShow) so you should be sorted...

Jimmy14 14:11 20 Oct 06

I find that the codecs I needed to download from the web worked fine in WMP11 in Vista.

dth 14:35 23 Oct 06

same here

I find that the codecs I needed to download from the web worked fine in WMP11 in Vista.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…