Clean install of Windows 7

Cobber 12:25 22 Feb 10

I want to do a clean install of Win 7.
My retail DVD only seems to give me 2 options:

(1)Upgrade (which I would rather not have)

(2)Install with my present files in a new file called 'Windows Old' which again I do not need.

Is there a way I can format my hd prior to a clean install of Windows 7 from the retail DVD?

Help appreciated

Pine Man 12:55 22 Feb 10

I am not sure why you can't carry out a clean install but your option (2) above will have the same effect and when you are really sure you have finished with 'Windows Old' you can delete it.

BurrWalnut 13:16 22 Feb 10

The install sequence is Loading files, you select the Language, Time/Currency, Keyboard. Click Install now, ‘Setup is starting’ message, accept the License and click Custom for a clean install.

Then, as you want to format a partition, click ‘Drive Options Advanced' at the bottom.

Cobber 18:15 22 Feb 10

Thanks for your response.
With all due respect it is not the same. I want to put 7 on a clean formatted disc.
Regards

sunnystaines 19:04 22 Feb 10

MS wording is misleading.

opt for the upgrade option, that gives you the chance to format during the process and clean install, then once satisfied all is well use the windows clean up tool to clean your old install which would have been saved to a folder called something like windows old

Pine Man 19:21 22 Feb 10

'With all due respect it is not the same. I want to put 7 on a clean formatted disc.'

Something along the lines described by sunnystaines maybe? (Your option (2);-)

sunnystaines 20:10 23 Feb 10

did any of the tips by member above help?

Ozy 22:29 23 Feb 10

do you have an XP disc?
if you have put it in the drive,and restart.
let XP load files, click enter instead of repair,
then click F8, then install.
it will ask you where to install,
choose your drive, it will tell you that it contains a system, that will be deleted if you
continue, continue, and it will format the drive.
watch for the end of format 100%,
and quickly shut down the computer, before XP starts to load windows files,
remove XP disc, and put in 7s disc, as you now have a clean drive

Zeppelyn 22:57 23 Feb 10

Ozy, No no no, that is not the way to go, that cud just as easily be done with a Win 7 disc using the Repair My Computer and then Command Prompt. click here

peugeot man 09:28 24 Feb 10

This sounds so simple I may be misunderstanding but, when I installed Win 7 using the "install option" I believe my HDD was formatted during the installation process. Yes a folder called "windows old" was created but I simply deleted this after install.

I was left with a HDD just containing Win 7.
I have done this on a netbook and a PC and I am sure the HDD was reformatted each time during installation.

Technocrate 11:01 25 Feb 10

A Windows 7 clean install simply means an installation of Windows 7 on an unused partition on your hard drive. In most cases, though, a clean install of Windows 7 means to remove an existing operating system (Windows XP, Linux, Windows 7... doesn't matter) and to replace it with a fresh installation of Windows 7.

After serious Windows 7 problems or during a new Windows 7 installation with an older operating system installed that you'd like to replace, it's best to wipe your primary hard drive partition clean and install Windows 7 from scratch - a procedure referred to as a "clean install" or sometimes as a "custom install".

This guide is broken into 3 parts for a total of 34 steps and will walk you through every part of the Windows 7 clean install process.

The most important thing to realize before performing a clean install of Windows 7 is that all of the information on the drive that your current operating system is installed on (probably your C: drive) will be destroyed during this process. That means that if there's anything you want to keep you should back it up to a CD or another drive prior to beginning this process.

You should also locate the Windows 7 product key, a 25-digit alphanumeric code unique to your copy of Windows 7. If you can't locate it, there is a fairly easy way to find the Windows 7 product key code from your existing Windows 7 installation, but this must be done before you reinstall Windows 7.

Note: If Windows originally came preinstalled on your computer (i.e. you did not install it yourself), your product key is probably located on a sticker attached to the side, back, or bottom of your computer's case. This is the product key you should use when installing Windows 7.

When you're absolutely sure sure that everything from your computer that you want to keep is backed up, proceed to the next step. Keep in mind that once you delete all of the information from this drive (as we'll do in a future step), the action is not reversible!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Prehistoric Britain is laid out in these Royal Mail stamp illustrations

Best running headphones | Best sport & fitness headphones: 4 brilliant pairs of wireless…