Changing Default user directory location

JakeStyles 01:59 19 Feb 15

Hi,

I am running a PC with a 128GB SSD and a 2TB HD on Windows 7.

I have recently tried to change the location of all my libraries (eg My Documents, Music, Pictures, Videos etc) to the D: from the default C: (which is the SSD).

I was able to do this for all the libraries, however i still have the folder C:/USers/Jake, which the icon is a folder with a padlock symbol. The folder has nothing in it but appears to take up about 13GB of disk space.

I also recently tried to change the location of this folder through regedit, however the folder still remains and has now placed another "Temp" user folder showing the same padlocked folder icon.

Is anybody able to point out what i'm doing wrong?

I am trying to move the folder as I want to save disk space and keep just the OS running on the SSD.

Thanks!

xania 10:32 19 Feb 15

I suspect that this folder may well contain hidden system files in which case you would not normally be able to see them and you certain should not move them. To see if I correct, open Windows Explorer and, in the Tools drop down select Folder Options. Select the 'View' tab and then under select . Also, uncheck then . You should now be able to see all the files in this folder.

I would recommend that you then undo what you have just changed (although this is not essential to the running of your system).

JakeStyles 12:26 19 Feb 15

Ah ok thanks.

So there is a hidden folder "AppData".

I understand this is a folder that all my programs use for storing various things.

The folder is about 13.2 Gig. Is it possible to move this folder or is it advisable to leave where it is?

xania 14:31 19 Feb 15

No - you should not move this folder - it is part of the Windows installation and needs to be on the same logical drive as Windows itself.

rdave13 16:56 19 Feb 15

Have a look here.

I'd stick to the 'safe' way of redirecting, click here , then at least you can restore to default if ever needed.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

Where HTML5 is headed next

MacBook Pro v Surface Pro 5