Changing broadband from XP Home to Vista

NormG 19:53 25 Mar 07

I am presently using XP Home using Supanet as the ISP (the old Time Computers ISP).I've just bought a Vista laptop and want to transfer my existing Broadband to the laptop and get rid of the XP altogether. Help. Can't seem to get any good advice off my ISP. Dropped into the local one man computer shop and he doesn't seem sure. Tried the existing Zoom ADSL USB on the Vista-useless.Getting a bit desperate and wondering what the heck I've bought.
Any suggestions please.

Totally-braindead 20:05 25 Mar 07

You need to find a BB router thats compatible with Vista, by this I mean has Vista drivers for it.

I have a Sagem 800 one for example, theres no Vista drivers for it and I have been told they will not be writing one so therefore to connect to the internet with Vista I would need a new router. You might be in the same situation, you'll have to check the Zoom site and see if theres a Vista driver or not.

anskyber 20:09 25 Mar 07

Just to echo that advice. If you connect via a USB then drivers will be needed. If you connect via an ethernet then usually they are not. You may need to get an inexpensive modem/roter with Ethernet.

My Speedtouch 360 connected without drama.

skidzy 22:46 25 Mar 07

Ive mentioned this before about using usb modems.I was advised my speedtouch 330 would not work...yes it did throw up errors.
But making this the first driver installed reduced any conflict and all works fine now,and thats without the Vista beta drivers.
On first installation it went haywire,after a recovery to factory settings and then first device installed........Bingo.

Though im not saying this works for all usb modem's.

Totally-braindead 22:50 25 Mar 07

I believe the speedtouch ones now have drivers, albeit Beta ones unlike my Sagem modem.

skidzy 23:54 25 Mar 07

Just found this and not sure if you had seen it

My SAGEM modem is working perfectly on Vista it was trial and error. What I did was first installed the drivers for the modem, when the installation was complete the Tiscali installation setup wouldn't close so to find out if the drivers have been installed click on all programs and see if its there then the drivers have been installed. After that connect the Modem and Vista will look for the drivers when that has been installed successfully go to setup internet connection but set it up as a DIAL-UP beause the broadband option won't work follow the on screen instructions and everything should work fine.click here

Totally-braindead 00:06 26 Mar 07

skidzy so you could use the sagem BB modem, doesn't the dial up thing mean it would be slower as its meant to be broadband?

I suppose its not really important as Tiscali said by email that the sagem is not supported and will not be getting Vista drivers at all so they're sending me a speedtouch modem instead which would work with Vista.

It amazes me how many companies have done nothing about creating Vista drivers for their hardware. You really would think the Vista release was a complete surprise to them.

skidzy 06:41 26 Mar 07

"doesn't the dial up thing mean it would be slower as its meant to be broadband?"

No TB,as its just another connection name it creates,its basically an option i have with the speedtouch.

It is annoying that these drivers where not created in time for the launch of Vista.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Gear VR vs. Daydream: Which delivers the best VR experience?

iPad Pro 12.9 vs Surface Pro 5