Changed location of program files, now programs won't open

nopasaran 15:28 18 Oct 13

While trying to delete a file in command prompt I accidentally pressed enter after only typing

RD /Q /S "C:

So as you can imagine, this messed up my C: drive pretty badly as I effectively tried to wipe the whole drive. Luckily everything is still there as far as I can tell, except that it has moved. Where 'My Computer' once was, there is now 'This PC'.

Most importantly none of my programs will open because they can't locate the program files. That's everything from Control Panel to MS Word to my wallpaper. Nothing works

Would really really appreciate any help with how to fix this mess

chub_tor 15:43 18 Oct 13

This PC is the new name for My Computer in Win 8.1, it probably was in Win 8 but I didn't pay that much attention to it.

If you double click on This PC can you see your C: Drive and if you double click on that can you see all the files such as Program Files and Windows etc?

Are all your User files also on C: or do you have the data on a different partition or hard drive?

If you can see all your documents, music, pictures, videos it may be simplest just to save all those to an external hard drive, or big USB memory stick, then re-install Windows 8 plus your programmes.

Or maybe you can get into Safe Mode and do a System Restore from that, or Last Good Configuration.

nopasaran 23:37 18 Oct 13

Thanks for your response,

Didn't realise This PC was from the 8.1 update, I thought it was something I had done haha good to know that. Yes everything is still there, C: drive as well as documents, music, etc. Thinking I will do exactly that, just move everything to my external and try and restore it.

Thanks again for your help

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

Where HTML5 is headed next

MacBook Pro v Surface Pro 5