Change in startup

Pine Man 14:37 PM 13 Nov 09

When I had RC1 at start up you would first of all get the 'Starting Windows' screen with the coloured lights for several seconds followed by the light blue 'Welcome' screen for several seconds and then finally the desktop. That was the way it remained.

When the full version of Windows 7 was loaded I had the same sequence but as time went on and more programs were loaded the sequence changed. First of all the 'Starting Windows' screen as normal but then the light blue 'Welcome Screen' flashed on and off at least twice followed by the desktop which also flashed on and off at least twice before settling down.

Overall boot up time doesn't seem to be affected and following a recent re-installation of W7 the same problem has returned.

rawprawn 15:01 PM 13 Nov 09

I have no idea why, but mine just runs through as normal with no flickering on and off.
Just for the sake of it try this little program which allows you to change the log on. log off screen to whatever you want, and see if it changes the flickering,
click here

rawprawn 15:02 PM 13 Nov 09

Failing that it must be a program that you have installed which is having difficulty starting

sunnystaines 15:04 PM 13 Nov 09

not got it either w7 has a very fast boot from the on button to the desktop

Pine Man 15:23 PM 13 Nov 09

Thanks for the download rawprawn but no difference.

It shouldn't be a program as all of the programs I have now were also on RC1 but I'll start removing a few and see what happens.

If that doesn't work it's not the end of the world as boot up time hasn't been affected and it is still very fast.

I'll leave this open for a bit longer to see if anybody else has any ideas.

sunnystaines 15:26 PM 13 Nov 09

try and reset bios to optimal settings save and exit

BurrWalnut 15:49 PM 13 Nov 09

You could try running the locale command from an elevated Command Prompt, i.e. click the Windows Orb (Start) > All Programs > Accessories and right-click Command Prompt, then ‘Run as Administrator’. Type bcdboot %windir% /l en-US (note the three spaces) and press Enter. Restart the computer.

To check that the locale is correct, run bcdedit.

Pine Man 16:53 PM 13 Nov 09

Not sure what this actually does. Before I try could you give me a bit more info please.

sunnystaines - I'll give it a bash!

Pine Man 17:17 PM 13 Nov 09

I have stopped a few progs running at start up and now I only get the desk top flashing once and everything else is ok also it is blisteringly fast now!

I'll keep fiddling;-)

BurrWalnut 18:17 PM 13 Nov 09

Sometimes after running a repair, the animated Windows 7 boot screen misbehaves, the /l en-US is the locale command setting the animation to en-US (English).

If you want to know if yours is set correctly, just run bcdedit and check that the locale is en_US.

Pine Man 19:15 PM 13 Nov 09

Thanks, I'll give it a bash!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best Black Friday deals 2015 live blog: Best UK Black Friday weekend deals & best UK Cyber Monday…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The best Black Friday Deals for designers and artists – updated

20 Mac Power User Tricks... That You Didn't Know