Change the power button from "sleep" to "turn off"

anskyber 11:56 02 Mar 07

One of the minor annoyances for me in Vista is the power button in Start is set to place the PC into sleep. To turn the PC off it is necessary to select the smaller button to the right and chose "shut down"

No longer, for those who want the Start power button to shut the PC down, this is the solution.

Control Panel.
System and Maintenance.
Power options.
Select your power option and choose "Change Plan Settings"
Click "change advanced power settings".
Maximise "power buttons and lid"
Maximise "Start menu power button"
Click on "sleep" which will bring up options and select "Shut down"
Apply and OK.

If you hover over the power button in Start now you will see it confirms the changed funtion to shut down rather than sleep. It sounds more involved than it really is.

SteveWH 13:23 02 Mar 07

Thanks for that another minor annoyance bites the dust:-)

Genius1 14:30 02 Mar 07

Microsoft obviously still hasn't cottoned on to the idea of power saving. You'd have thought that will all the environmentally friendly schemes in operation these days, Microsoft would have made the default to shut down, rather than stand by which still uses 1-6W per hour as opposed to 0W when off at the wall outlet switch.

tonyq 19:30 02 Mar 07

Thank you for posting.

wizza68 19:53 02 Mar 07

In Vista there is also an option to set your own power management settings, which you can find through the control panel.

I have also set my default start menu to power off but have found that in this state my USB ports and mouse still are powered up. This I can tell because my bluetooth dongle keeps flashing and the optical mouse still has that red glow about it.

I would want the option to power off completely but despite playing with the power setting to create my own profile I can not find any way of doing this.

PurplePenny 20:19 02 Mar 07

Nice one anskyber :-)

Genius1 - I agree, the default should be shut down. Too many people already leave things on stand by instead of turning off. This default setting is just encouraging that behaviour.

Pine Man 20:20 02 Mar 07

Brilliant!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Gear VR vs. Daydream: Which delivers the best VR experience?

iPad Pro 12.9 vs Surface Pro 5