Change of BIOS settings - what if ... ?

Charlie Babbage 15:24 26 May 07

... you have to go back to Windows XP

I have an HP Presario running Win XP Media edition. I've just got (at long last!) the Vista Home Premium Upgrade from HP. Obviously, I'm going to do a back-up of the existing O/S first!

However, I see from the 'Installing Windows Vista' instructions that the first thing that happens on the upgrade is that the BIOS is updated. My worry is how this might affect going back to Win XP if the need arises!! It's no good having a back-up of the old O/S if the computer will not then boot it due to the change in BIOS.

Does the Win XP back-up include the BIOS settings or do you need to save the BIOS settings separately? If so how do you do that?

Many thanks in advance.

i have a compaq and you just use the recovery (f10) button and it puts everything back to factory settings, with the xp disks.

should have explained, i ran vista home premium for a short while, now back with xp and no problems. I did have 66 updates though with took a while!

Charlie Babbage 17:38 26 May 07

... why did you decide to go back to XP?

I must say I'm very doubtful now as to whether or not to go ahead with the Vista upgrade as I've heard quite a few horror stories!

lot's of people get on fine with it, software compatibilty problems mostly, i couldnt find anything it did that xp doesnt, quite a lot less actually.
but maily games and frame rates crashes etc, i think it depends what you use it for if it's games might be worth waiting a while, my pc is amd 5200 dual core, 800 ram and 8800 gtx and it was dire!
also tried it on a brand new quad core, dual gtx sli with physics card set up and the performance was the same.
try it you might like it, you can always go back to xp if you're not happy!

Totally-braindead 18:36 26 May 07

I think I should explain something. The BIOS is not part of windows. It is a chip on the motherboard which stores information to control the motherboard, as long as the upgrading the BIOS goes well you can put any operating system on your computer XP or Vista it doesn't matter.
Is it some sort of HP branded Vista disk because mine never did anything about the BIOS.
I too had problems and reverted to XP. Will try again later though.

Jimmy14 19:24 26 May 07

My bios is the same regardless where I installed XP or Vista. TB is precise and that is exactly all it is.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…