CD/DVD player disappears after Win8 install + reg edit fix doesn't work

webtiger 13:01 PM 31 Dec 12

Having installed WIn8 for a third and final try, I now find that my CD/DVd player has disappeared from the system so I can't install any further software.

I've done the reg edit fix for this available online but it hasn't corrected the problem. Also, I've downloaded the free MS Media Centre add-on, which is also supposed to resolve the issue, also without success - I have the media centre function, but not DVD/CD player.

Can anyone help with advice on beating this bug?

rdave13 14:50 PM 31 Dec 12

When you ran the reg fix did you get any errors? Did you run CMD as admin?

webtiger 18:17 PM 31 Dec 12

There were no errors when I ran the edit. And, yes, I used the admin version of the prompt to run it.

rdave13 20:14 PM 31 Dec 12

Left corner, right click, Device Manager, DVD/CD-ROM drives right click and try 'Scan for hardware changes.

Left corner, right click, Disk manager, if you scroll down do you see CD-ROM O. If it's there without a letter you will need to change drive letter and paths.

rdave13 20:23 PM 31 Dec 12

This one is slightly different, save to notepad as Drive.reg then merge.

click here

fullywired23 15:00 PM 02 Jan 13

I thought I had cured this fault but after a few reboots it has gone again.I tried the regedit but it didn't work for me ,I don't know if I did it correctly but I pasted it in and I used the admin command ,perhaps someone could give me a step by step instruction as I am not all that good with computers

viejo
  fullywired23 19:07 PM 02 Jan 13

Tried again ,this time using

reg.exe add "HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\atapi\Controller0" /f /v EnumDevice1 /t REG_DWORD /d 0x00000001 this was successful I can now see the DVD However only time will tell whether the cure is long lasting

thanks to everyone viejo

Pine Man 08:02 AM 03 Jan 13

I had this and other problems with Windows 8 and found that the easiest solution, which cured them all, was to re-install Windows 7. I liked Windows 8 but I'm going to leave it for a few months before trying again.

Advertisement

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 now: how to download and install Windows 10 even if GWX.exe is missing

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Nokia rolls out spherical camera for virtual reality apps

7 best iPhone web browser apps: Why Safari for iOS is still a better option than Chrome, Dolphin,…