CD/DVD player disappears after Win8 install + reg edit fix doesn't work

webtiger 31 Dec 12

Having installed WIn8 for a third and final try, I now find that my CD/DVd player has disappeared from the system so I can't install any further software.

I've done the reg edit fix for this available online but it hasn't corrected the problem. Also, I've downloaded the free MS Media Centre add-on, which is also supposed to resolve the issue, also without success - I have the media centre function, but not DVD/CD player.

Can anyone help with advice on beating this bug?

rdave13 31 Dec 12

When you ran the reg fix did you get any errors? Did you run CMD as admin?

webtiger 31 Dec 12

There were no errors when I ran the edit. And, yes, I used the admin version of the prompt to run it.

rdave13 31 Dec 12

Left corner, right click, Device Manager, DVD/CD-ROM drives right click and try 'Scan for hardware changes.

Left corner, right click, Disk manager, if you scroll down do you see CD-ROM O. If it's there without a letter you will need to change drive letter and paths.

rdave13 31 Dec 12

This one is slightly different, save to notepad as Drive.reg then merge.

click here

fullywired23 02 Jan 13

I thought I had cured this fault but after a few reboots it has gone again.I tried the regedit but it didn't work for me ,I don't know if I did it correctly but I pasted it in and I used the admin command ,perhaps someone could give me a step by step instruction as I am not all that good with computers

viejo
  fullywired23 02 Jan 13

Tried again ,this time using

reg.exe add "HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\atapi\Controller0" /f /v EnumDevice1 /t REG_DWORD /d 0x00000001 this was successful I can now see the DVD However only time will tell whether the cure is long lasting

thanks to everyone viejo

Pine Man 03 Jan 13

I had this and other problems with Windows 8 and found that the easiest solution, which cured them all, was to re-install Windows 7. I liked Windows 8 but I'm going to leave it for a few months before trying again.

Advertisement

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Should I upgrade to Windows 10? 8 reasons why you should upgrade to Windows 10... and 2 why you…

We are being sold the ability to spend money we don't have. And we love it

IKinema aims to banish droopy shoulders and wonky spines in animated CG characters

How to use Apple Music in the UK: Complete guide to Apple Music's features

We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message