ccleaner or reg cleaners is there any safe

picklsey 04:10 18 Feb 07

wandering if there was any tried and tested cleaners for vista.still using rc1.ie reg cleaners and such.thanks.

anskyber 09:14 18 Feb 07

I have Reg Mechanic v 6 which is designed for Vista. I have not used it yet!

picklsey 10:34 18 Feb 07

thanks for reply.i have all the xp cleaners but i don,t want to try them on vista incase i screw it up.lol,waiting for someone braver than me to try.thanks again.

anskyber 10:55 18 Feb 07

Some of the XP cleaners claim to be Vista compliant, for those which do not, "touching with bargepole" comes to mind.

Perhaps PCA mag will try them out on their sacrificial machines for us sometime soon. (polite request)

picklsey 11:00 18 Feb 07

i second that request.lol

picklsey 15:19 18 Feb 07

took a chance and tried ccleaner about an hour or so ago used it messed around in vista and all seems ok.

Guybrush1 15:22 18 Feb 07

Hi

I too have registry mechanic 6.0 and have just ran everything from scan to system optimise to reg compact nad rebooted and thus far all seems fine.

Guybrush

P.S i am running Windows Vista Home Premium

picklsey 15:25 18 Feb 07

thanks but looking for good freebies.

anskyber 15:29 18 Feb 07

Thanks. I can feel a dose of courage coming on!

Guybrush1 15:39 18 Feb 07

LOL........good luck m8

I'm sure you will be fine

Guybrush

anskyber 11:45 21 Feb 07

Update on PC Tools Reg Mechanic v. 6.

I ran the program and it "dealt" with the majority of the issues raised save for about 72. I ran it again, same result. The PC Tools web site encourages sending a copy of the scan log to them if this happens, which I did.

The reply (which I got promptly) is as follows

"Our current Operating System specs for Registry Mechanic are as follows:

Designed for Windows 98, Me, 2000 and XP, with basic support for Windows Vista.

What does 'basic support for Windows Vista mean?

Registry Mechanic has passed basic functionality tests with Vista. However, as Registry Mechanic was designed without consideration for Vista ?specifically and with so many still unknown scenarios with Vista? we cannot guarantee that Registry Mechanic 6.0 will be 100% compatible and error free with the Vista Operating System."

When I bought Reg Mechanic in December it was because when reading the details I do not recall reading the words "basic support for Windows Vista" and I would not have bought it if I had read it.

I am clear about this point and I regret not printing the page at the time. I have asked therefore if the new version "designed for Vista" will be a free upgrade to people like me who have bought a non functioning bit of software, no reply to date but will keep you up to date.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is ransomware and how do I protect my PC from WannaCry?

What I learned from my mentor, Oscar-winning VFX supervisor Phil Tippett

Siri vs Google Assistant