catastrophic failure (0x8000FFFF)during Back up.

scroez 18:02 22 Jan 08

Hi I'm wondering if anybody can help please. well when ever I try to back up my system it starts to copy my shadowfiles etc, then a pop up appears with this catastrophic failure (0x8000FFFF) Ive tried everything to try and fix it, but cant find any information on how to fix it.Asking on a number of forums and google'ing the web for days on end to find any help? There seem's to be nothing to fix this problem!! I'm worried that I may have to wipe my C drive and start over again, which I really don't want too. Thanks. BTW, I'm running vista basic, Inspiron 501, duel core etc Oh a bit more information, It seems this problem started when I uninstalled Windows one live care. I haven't got a system restore date to go back to either. I hope anyone can help please, I would say I'm a complete novice. Thanks.

anskyber 19:02 22 Jan 08

When you talk in terms of backing up your system, do you mean system or just the files eg documents?

anskyber 19:08 22 Jan 08

I think the answer probably is that Windows Live One Care has a back up facility in the program.

The various versions of Vista also have a back up facility but NOT vista Basic which you have. click here

I think therefore that when you removed One Care you removed the only files etc back up facility on your PC.

scroez 01:13 23 Jan 08

Nice one yes, Thats what has happen I think,with Windows one care.

scroez 01:24 23 Jan 08

I was using the basic back up, just Data,Music, Pictures, Files etc.

I used to back up once a month, but since removing windows one care I no longer can do this with out this error message.

I have a DVD ( vista Reinstallation disc) from dell, I'm thinking is it worth trying that or waiting for SP1?

but Hopefully I will find away to turn on the vista basic back up.
Cheers for your reply anskyber

anskyber 10:15 23 Jan 08

As my link confirms, Vista basic does not include a back up function. I think you must have been using the One Care facility before.

I have no idea whether the Reinstallation disc will include One Care or if it's just the main OS. One care in it's full form is a paid for service so you might want to contact Dell to see if they have included something with your PC which gives it to you.

If all of this is very recent have you thought about doing a system restore?

anskyber 10:21 23 Jan 08

Having said all of that I do not wish to mislead you and I apologise if I have. This link click here talks in terms of
"Automatic File Backup helps to keep your files safe and is available in almost all editions of Windows Vista (it is not included in Starter and has only basic functionality in Home Basic edition)."

So my comments need to be viewed in that light.

scroez 19:43 23 Jan 08

Hi-I did a basic back up aviable to me with Vista basic. I have a few disc's.
I was thinking of putting Windows one care on here again, but that program caused me a lot of problems and
Seeing as I can't find any cure to this problem.
I've downloaded Acronis 11 to Back up for the Time being.
I hope to upgrade, Increase my Ram and buy an external HDD in the near future, until then I cant afford to mess about in the registory not know how to turn on the "basic" back up I did have.

Thanks though Anskyber, very greatful
scroez...

scroez 19:46 23 Jan 08

Hi-I did have a basic back up available to me with Vista basic. I have a few disc's.
I was thinking of putting Windows one care on here again, but that program caused me a lot of problems and
Seeing as I can't find any cure to this problem.
I've downloaded Acronis 11 to Back up for the Time being.
I hope to upgrade, Increase my Ram and buy an external HDD in the near future, until then I cant afford to mess about in the registry not knowing how to turn on the "basic" back up I did have.

Thanks though Anskyber, very greatful
scroez...

anskyber 19:48 23 Jan 08

Out of interest really, can you tell us the problems you had with One Care?

J B 20:09 23 Jan 08

You probably didn't uninstall Onecare properly. My suggestion is to reinstall Onecare then uninstall the same. When you have done that run the Onecare cleanup tool which you can get from here click here

anskyber
I have been using Windows Live Onecare since June 2007 and apart from some initial teething problems have had none since. It just sits there on my Vista premium and XP machines and works in the background. Version 2 which I use is also very low on system resources so that is a bonus. J.B.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

LG G6 review: Hands-on with LG’s bold, big-screen shot at perfection

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…