Can't take ownership of a file, Can't delete it...

KTM21 18:25 12 Aug 15

Hi,

I downloaded an installer for a youtube downloader and I'm not sure why this problem occurred. Basically I wan't to delete the file but when I try to I get, "You need permission to perform this action". When I try to change the owner I get, "You do not have permission to view or edit this object's permission settings". What do I have to do to be able to delete this file? The file is in my downloads folder and I am the sole user of my computer with full administrative privileges. I have not encountered this problem anywhere else on my computer so it is specific to the downloads folder.

Thanks

KTM21 19:01 12 Aug 15

Here is a video of the problem... click here

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 21:23 12 Aug 15
  Zak 21:29 12 Aug 15

Have you tried re instating admin rights?

[How to][1

Zak 21:31 12 Aug 15
  KTM21 21:45 12 Aug 15

@Fruit bat: Does it work with windows 10. I've installed it but don't see the unlocker on any file I right click on.

KTM21 21:49 12 Aug 15

@zak: The security tab of the file is messed up. i can't do anything under the security tab, you'll see in the video. I can't change anything.

KTM21 00:15 13 Aug 15

For anybody looking at this in the future with the same problem. I managed to solve it by booting into safe mode using msconfig and then booting back into normal mode. Go to run and type, msconfig , then click the boot tab, choose safe boot on the left and then minimal and click okay. The pc will restart into safe mode. Have a look to see if the file s still there, it should be deleted. Then go back into msconfig the same way as before and click normal startup under the general tab, then ok and restart. You should be in normal mode now and the file should be gone :)

rdave13 00:28 13 Aug 15

KTM21, glad you sorted it out. After installing Unlocker you should reboot. Running Win 10 I have it in the context menu.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

VFX Oscar nominees 2017: Discover how the visual effects were created

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…