Can’t open Security Centre

Onizuka 16:15 01 Feb 09

I’m running Kaspersky Internet Security 2009 on Windows Vista Home Premium and KIS reports that everything is protected. However, when I start up I get the little red badge with the white cross in the taskbar stating

“Check your computer security
There are multiple security problems with your computer.
Click this notification to fix these problems.”

When I do so I’m invited to “Open Security Center” but clicking on it does nothing. Nor can I open the Security Centre through Control Panel – again nothing happens.

While I am reasonably confident that Kaspersky is doing its job I am concerned at being unable to open the Security Centre. Can anyone suggest what may be the cause and should I be worried?

Woolwell 17:41 01 Feb 09

You can of course get in to Security Center via Control Panel and this should tell you if you have any snags.
However I get this message on start up if Kaspersky has not been updated. Suggest open Kaspersky and check that it thinks that all is ok too.

User-1229748 19:08 01 Feb 09

try control panel-administrative tools-services-see if security center is started,on mine it is set to come on automatically delayed start.

Onizuka 15:02 02 Feb 09

Woolwell
Thank you for your response but if you look again at my original post you will see that I said that not only could I not open Security Center by clicking on the icon but also that I could not open it via Control Panel either. I have always had Kaspersky set to automatic update, which it seems to do hourly, so I don’t think that could be a cause, and it certainly reports that everything is OK.

smackheadz
I checked Control Panel-Administrative Tools-Services and my Security Center was, like yours, set to come on automatically (delayed start). I changed it to Automatic and the status shows it as Started. However, I still cannot get into it.

rawprawn 16:23 02 Feb 09

Download, update and run a full scan using Malwarebytes
click here

Onizuka 19:00 02 Feb 09

rawprawn
Have done this - full scan revealed no infections.

Has anybody else any suggestions?

rawprawn 19:05 02 Feb 09

Try a system file scan click here

Onizuka 15:59 05 Feb 09

rawprawn
Thanks for this further link. I ran the System File Checker (sfc/scannow) as described and it came back with:

“Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity violations”

by which I assume it means everything is as it should be.

As well as posting my query on this forum I have been searching other forums and have come across references to Norton and McAfee taking over and disabling Security Centre. Can anyone say if Kaspersky might have done the same?

Woolwell 18:01 05 Feb 09

I run Kaspersky 2009 with Vista and I can still access the Security Centre.

Onizuka 12:18 07 Feb 09

Thanks Woolwell, I just wondered if it was a possibility.

Obviously something is stopping me from opening Security Centre and I just hope that somebody reading this forum can tell me what it is.

User-1229748 12:59 07 Feb 09

i've read a few posts in the kaspersky forums about similar problems to yours and some have been able to fix the problem by this methodclick here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sniper Elite 4 review: Headshotting Nazis has never felt so good

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Best Design, Illustration, Animation and VFX Awards of 2017

WWDC 2017 dates: How to get WWDC 2017 tickets, when is WWDC 2017 and more details announced