Cant figure out how to get WiFI going

spiderplant0 22:42 03 May 14

I plugged in my Linklsys USB Network Adpater. It appears under: Control Panel / network & Internet / Network Connections And is indicates that the signal is strong. I right mouse click on it and select Connect/Disconnect A blue panel slides in from the RHS of the screen. It says: Networks. View Connection Settings. No connections are available. I click 'view connection settings', It says 'Not connected' - so I click on that which takes me to a page of properties. What I am looking for is the button for "CONNECT TO THIS ADAPTER".

What is frustrating is that there is no clear indication if Windows 8 cant deal with the adapter or if I just havent got to the settings page for the adapter.

Under Properties > Configure, it says it is working properly and the driver is upto date. I also clicked 'Diagnose' but it couldn't identify the problem (though I dont know if there is a problem).

I tried the same thing on a windows 7 PC in the same room and it worked fine. I dont have WPS.

Could someone please tell me what is supposed to happen when I plug in an adapter or what the likely problem is.

I'm on windows 8.1

BRYNIT 00:03 04 May 14

You say you have plugged in a Linksys USB Network adaptor but you do not say what the make and model of your router is? Do you have a router?

spiderplant0 18:58 04 May 14

It is a Linksys wireless-G WUSB54GS version 2.1

When I try it out on a windows 7 pc in the same room it connects to the router and the internet fine.

rdave13 20:48 04 May 14

Check Linksys help and support page for the dongle, there might be a different driver for Win 8.1. I had to with a TP-LINK dongle.

spiderplant0 21:30 04 May 14

rdave13, thanks. I reinstalled the driver from linksys. It didnt work. It is quite an old adapter so linksys have probably forgotten about it a ling time ago.

I really wanted someone to confirm that what I was doing in my original post looked ok (i.e. windows 8 cant deal with the device rather than me missing a step somewhere) as I am not sure how windows 8 is supposed to respond when you plug an wife device in. If yes, I will go an d buy a newer device.

rdave13 21:42 04 May 14

Was the driver specifically for Win 8? You are lucky. When I installed the TP-LINK adapter with the wrong drivers it created a blue screen. If I hadn't enabled F8 for safe mode, to uninstall the drivers, I would have had to restore to an image to get over the problem. I would be wary to continue unless you know the driver is for 8. Check device manager to see if any errors.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…