Can't execute files

Monk112 11:27 03 Feb 15

I downloaded an older version of Adobe Audition last night and while I was installing it, my computer seemed to crash for a few seconds and when it came back on, my exe files were not executable. It started off saying something about a file wasn't found in my amttib.dll library. But I updated windows and now I just can't open any files. It gives me the option of opening the file with internet explorer, but when I click internet explorer, nothing further happens. I get an option to "run" the program, but keep getting sent in a circle.

Any idea on how to fix this, or is it a case of having to re-install windows?

northumbria61 11:43 03 Feb 15

See if Fix It can help

northumbria61 11:46 03 Feb 15
  Monk112 11:46 03 Feb 15

One of the first things I tried when I searched on google. Same thing, all it done was accidentally gave me a way to open a chrome window. I have no idea how that happened.

Monk112 11:48 03 Feb 15

I can't actually open command prompt lol

northumbria61 11:52 03 Feb 15

Run command as administrator

Monk112 12:02 03 Feb 15

Not an option. It's like it doesn't exist, but all the files are there.

Secret-Squirrel 12:43 03 Feb 15

Because the onset of your problem is so very recent then a System Restore will hopefully put everything back to how it was. However, that utility is an executable so it's likely that you won't be able to run it. To get round that problem you should try the System Restore that runs independently of windows - see below (with screenshots):

Shutdown your PC, restart it and immediately start tapping the F8 key quickly and stop when you get to the "Advanced Boot Options" screen. Using the arrow keys select "Repair your computer" then follow the prompts until you arrive at the "System Recovery Options" screen. Choose "System Restore" and select an available restore point that pre-dates the start of this problem but don't go further back than you need to.

Secret-Squirrel 10:14 04 Feb 15

How did you get on?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Method Studios' title sequence for BBC series Taboo is truly unsettling

Best Pages for iOS tips | How to use Pages for iPad & iPhone: 6 simple tips to get more out of…