Canon printer and windows vista

GG22 16:26 30 May 07

I've recently bought a new PC with windows vista.
My printer, bought about 12 months ago is Canon Pixma MP500.
All is linked up - and I can print from the canon, but today (first time), I tried scanning and got the following message.
MP navigator - 'The scanner driver supported by this software is not installed. Install it and retry'.
I have after a phone downloaded the appropriate driver but I'm still getting this message.
Any advice please?

anskyber 16:43 30 May 07

Go into Device Manager, uninstall the drivers for the scanner and unplug the usb connector, plug the usb back in and turn the scanner on, let windows find the drivers.

rawprawn 17:11 30 May 07

You could also try Start and type Problem into search then open "Problem reports & solutions"You should get a link if your problem with cannon is still listed.

Probabilitydrive 22:18 30 May 07

Canon have released VISTA drivers for your model. go to- click here
and look for MP drivers.

set a restore point before you uninstall the old drivers and reinstall the new Vista drivers.

Finally, my system is XP (with a Canon printer) so I cant claim I have used these drivers. I will get my Vista system next week though.

GG22 20:33 31 May 07

Thanks for all your responses.
I carried out all the above over the past two days. If fact twice!
It is still telling me that the multifunctional printer/scanner/copier I have is not compatable with Vista.
I've contacted Canon - what a waste! Probably Vista will be just as interested.
Any other ideas or solutions will be gratefully received otherwise it looks like I have to buy a new printer - and I'm not happy!

Probabilitydrive 21:22 31 May 07

Sorry to hear about your troubles. I'm also gathering information about my printer (MP530) and just discovered that my CD-ROM in not compatible with Vista.

Have you checked out this page click here(58184),TemplateSet=Canon_SServe_Cust,Question=ref(SEK):::CSCBNSSBNJ,Question=ref(UT):::EU1,varset_lang=en,varset_country=UK,VARSET_URLLOC=self-service.canon-europe.com/uk/pages/ss_Layout.cgi,VARSET_ExitWin=Exit&LANG=en

It requires a bit of patient reading and identifying exactly what is (is not) available under Vista. I found out that I need to download pretty much everything I need if I want to run my printer under Vista.

Probabilitydrive 21:26 31 May 07

Sorry the link somehow really freaked out: onother try click here(58184),TemplateSet=Canon_SServe_Cust,Question=ref(SEK):::CSCBNSSBNJ,Question=ref(UT):::EU1,varset_lang=en,varset_country=UK,VARSET_URLLOC=self-service.canon-europe.com/uk/pages/ss_Layout.cgi,VARSET_ExitWin=Exit&LANG=en

Probabilitydrive 21:31 31 May 07

go to click here and click on
'Inkjet mutifuncionals' it leads you straight to the wonky site above.

GG22 14:08 01 Jun 07

Thanks Probabilitydrive.
I've already travelled that route, although must be honest and say I didn't read every single word - perhaps thats my failing!
I do have a ref number for Canon so I'm going to email them again. It's difficult to know who to blame -MS or Canon. But as usual it's us the consumer who how to spend hours sorting out the problems.
As soon as I have anything worth using, I'll get back to you.

Kate B 14:52 01 Jun 07

Canon. It's up to them to make drivers for Vista, not the other way round.

izzylara 18:35 01 Jun 07

I am having exactly the same problem with a HP Deskjet 5552. HP are a total waste of space - customer service claim there is a basic driver and a fully featured one has not yet been developed - so it would seem the only solution is to replace a perfectly good printer. I have always purchased (and recommended)HP products, but after this fiasco I will NEVER purchase a Hewlett Packard product again.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Gear VR vs. Daydream: Which delivers the best VR experience?

Best Mac antivirus 2017