Cannot share drives under Vista

Jannoth 14:39 26 Aug 07

My problem is almost identical to skeletal's problems as discussed in thread 282624. I've replied there as well, but that thread is now showing as "solved" so it seemed safest to start a new thread ...

My LAN has 3 PCs on same workgroup:

PC1 = Vista, 3 HDDs - only two being shared;
PC2 = XP, 1 shared HDD
PC3 = Vista Laptop, 1 shared HDD

The LAN works almost perfectly (ie PCs see each other and shared drives & folders - also use printer fine.

Weird problem is that whilst PC2 and PC3 see PC1 and the two shared drives, they can only access the D:\ drive. E:\ is configured identically and is seen by PC2 and PC3 but attempts to access generate a message about permissions :-(

Does anyone have any ideas cos this is slowly driving my insane :-(

Thanks
J

BurrWalnut 15:13 26 Aug 07

Have you made ‘Everyone’ appear in the Security Tab, have a look here click here

Jannoth 17:30 26 Aug 07

Hi BurrWalnut and thanx for helping. Yes, both HDDs have been set up to allow Everyone access - via the Permissions settings.

Jannoth 17:40 26 Aug 07

I've just walked through your linked explanation. I originally misunderstood your suggestion (thought it related to the Sharing Tab).

I've done as suggested and ... you saved my sanity, it works ! ! !

How can I express my gratitude except that you are the greatest being alive (for today, anyway).

Oh yeh, have I thanked you??

J

BurrWalnut 18:49 27 Aug 07

You sound pleased!

I had problems sharing files from Vista beta onwards and now share the whole drive rather than 'faffing' around try to share folders.

BurrWalnut 18:50 27 Aug 07

Whoops, should be 'trying' not 'try'.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…