Cannot install important Windows 8 updates

fisch110 21:39 29 Jun 14

So on Windows 8, I restored my CPU to factory settings to try to fix some problems I have been dealing with. When I restored my CPU, I went to PC settings to install these 111 important updates that Windows says I need to install. So I go to PC settings and scroll to the bottom to the Windows Update tab. There it gives me the option to wait for the 111 important updates to install automatically, or to click install now. So I click install now and my CPU goes to this screen where the updates are being installed and it tells me the percentage of my installation process. About midway through it tells me that it failed to configure the windows updates and that it is restarting and re-configuring my CPU back to normal. I have retried this process many times and every time it resulted in that error message. I have looked everywhere and I can't seem to find any solutions to my specific problem. I need these updates so I can upgrade to Windows 8.1, but this is really getting in the way. Any advice? P.S. I also cannot activate Windows 8 either. I go to PC settings and hit activate, it says checking key, and then nothing else happens. It doesn't give me an error code or anything. I think this might be the problem to my former problem, but I'm not completely sure. I don't know how to fix this. Please help.

fisch110 21:41 29 Jun 14

P.S.S. With the Windows activation problem, it tells me on the activation screen that the "Activation error description not found" when I hit activate

rdave13 21:54 29 Jun 14

What machine do you have? Which manufacturer, desktop or laptop?

fisch110 22:04 29 Jun 14

Acer Laptop- Aspire V3 771G-9809

rdave13 22:22 29 Jun 14

Can you first backup all your documents, photos and music to another drive?

Also your email and contacts list, if you're not using a web mail based email. Browser favourites as well.

Acer recovery media, create the DVD or USB media before you think of trying a repair.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

LG G6 review: Hands-on with LG’s bold, big-screen shot at perfection

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…