Cannot install Google Chrome Win 8

gav223 10:17 19 Nov 14

Hi.

I installed Chrome on a new PC about a month ago and up until 2 days ago everything was going OK.

I then tried to open it and it was not responding, so I uninstalled it, which was what I was advised to do.

I am now trying to reinstall it but I keep getting an error message saying "Installation failed due to unspecified error".

I went into the task manager and closed all the Chrome.exe, however they keep coming back after I close them. There was one which had the yellow symbol and that has not come back, but there are 10 which have a blue symbol and they keep popping back up. Under the Process tab there are also 10 that say Chromium.

I've tried quite a few things over the last couple of days, but can't get it fixed.

Thanks.

spuds 11:11 19 Nov 14

How did you uninstall the previous version, because it might be possible that part of the previous version Chrome is still on the machine, and perhaps blocking a new re-install.

spuds 11:20 19 Nov 14

You might find some suggestions with this link click here

gav223 11:44 19 Nov 14

Hi spuds.

I don't remember 100%, but I'm sure it was in the normal way you would do it. Uninstall programs.

I've just clicked the link and had a read through.

The PC is just a few weeks old, so I don't really want to have to reinstall everything again.

I've also tried the netsh winsock reset in the command window and I get "the requested operation requires elevation (Run as administrator).

I am the administrator.

Any other ideas?

Batch 15:28 19 Nov 14

By default Chrome installs for each user and installs the program files (and user settings etc.) under:

C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome

There is a separate installer that you can download that installs for all users (and so puts the program files in the "correct" place (i.e. under C:\Program Files\Google\Chrome).

See click here for more info. It also mentions that it can solve issues encountered when using the single user install.

I can't guarantee that it will solve your specific problem, but maybe worth a try.

I'd also recommend that you get yourself an external hard disk and some free imaging software (e.g. Macrium Reflect) and make an image before you do anything else so that you can, at least, restore to where you currently are before digging an even deeper hole.

gav223 12:28 20 Nov 14

I've now managed to install it.

It was asking me to either decline or accept different apps prior to installation and I was declining each one.

I then tried it again and accepted every one and it installed fine.

Seems a bit strange that you have to accept things you don't want.

Thanks for the help.

spuds 16:31 20 Nov 14

When you downloaded Chrome, did you get it from the official website, because if you downloaded from elsewhere, then ticking or unticking boxes might lead to problems if you haven't fully understood what you were accepting.

gav223 18:30 20 Nov 14

I'm assuming it was.

How do I tell if it's an official website.

Nasumi 09:55 09 Dec 14

I think this is the official download site, but I am not so suer.

click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…