Can old software run on Windows 8.1?

MikeSA 19:34 18 Oct 14

I have a few old software programs (e.g. Microsoft Works 4.0) that I want to install on my Windows 8.1. computer. Would such software work? Alternatively, is there a way to make old programs run on Windows 8.1?

spuds 23:12 18 Oct 14

I have used some older software programmes with Windows 7, but haven't tried them with Windows 8 yet.

Here's something from Microsoft on the subject click here

spuds 23:15 18 Oct 14

The link seem faulty, try click here

MikeSA 14:02 22 Oct 14

Thanks for the response. Unfortunately, it is not possible to run old software on Windows 8.1. I have tried everything and all I get is a message saying INVALID PROGRAM.

compumac 20:44 22 Oct 14

Try this for old programmes working under Win 8.1

click here

Forum Editor 09:31 25 Oct 14

Transferred to the Windows Help forum from Tech Consumer Advice.

wee eddie 15:50 25 Oct 14

Now, I am just putting forward an idea as I would not know how to do it, but others might be able to help you.

You might try to Dual Boot the PC, in other words have both OS's loaded onto it.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:35 25 Oct 14

Did it run in XP?

Then run XP in virtual mode and install the programs in XP..

sharpamat 08:59 26 Oct 14

I am running many programs I used on Win 95 without problems on win 7/8/8.1/ and 10 preview. These include Lotus WordPro. To install put the disc in drive and open it don't auto install. Find the setup file and right click, choose setup as admin. Then ignore the prompts. I have no problems running the programs, and use the same methods installing older printers. On 8.1 I have installed Lotus Word Coral print and photo house just to name a few

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Qualcomm Snapdragon 835 benchmarks: Antutu, Geekbench 4, GFXBench and PCMark results

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This animated short film tells a moving story of domestic violence for Refuge

New iPad 2017 preview: Apple's affordable but underspecced new iPad may appeal to the education…