Can I use IE7 icons in Vista?

cyberphobic 08:03 13 Aug 07

Have just upgraded to Vista and am disapointed to find that the all my internet shortcut icons - Google, BBC, eBay etc are now just standard IE icons whereas the IE7 ones I had previously actually used the logo relevant to the shortcut. Is there a way that I can use the IE7 ones?

BurrWalnut 09:10 13 Aug 07

I think you'll find that by going to the sites the favicons will gradually get updated.

anskyber 09:10 13 Aug 07

Doo you mean short cuts (desktop) or do you mean the favourites icons? if the latter they will appear with Vista in time after use.

there are some sidebar gadgets, not sure it's what you are looking for though click here

cyberphobic 10:12 13 Aug 07

Thanks for your replies, I may not have been clear, I mean the desktop shortcuts which one adds oneself, so for instance on IE7 the shortcut to eBay actually displays the eBay logo.

Coff 12:27 13 Aug 07

I just tried it with your eBay example. Added the site to favourites and it acquired the eBay favicon, then copied and pasted the shortcut to the desktop and it had the eBay icon. Rebooted and it still had the eBay icon.

If your icons are reverting to the default IE icon, try this. Copy and paste the eBay shortcut, for example, from your IE7 favourities to your desktop. It should now have the eBay icon. Right click it, go to Properties, General, and tick the read only box. In theory that should stop it changing.

cyberphobic 14:38 13 Aug 07

Thanks for your help, I tried your tip of saving as a favourite and then copying and pasting to the desktop but unfortunately, on my laptop, it just resulted in another blue "e" on a white background icon!

Coff 17:10 13 Aug 07

The only way I can recreate your problem is if I set the size of the desktop icons to medium or higher. Right click the desktop, click on View and tick "Classic Icons". Recreate the eBay shortcut as above and see how you get on.

cyberphobic 22:05 13 Aug 07

Really appreciate you sticking with me on this one. You are spot on, the answer is to select "Classic Icons", as soon as I did that, the "personalised" icons miraculously reappeared and I am now happy with my desktop again! I had been all round the houses with this and got precisely nowhere. To summarise, I'm very pleased to have an operating system which is intuitive and organic, but the odd signpost along the way wouldn't go amiss! Anyway, thanks again.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…