Can I place the contacts list under the files

User-324448 17:03 01 Aug 08

Hello everyone, I have just bought my 1st Laptop with Vista,I have a desk top with Vista and the same problem.as described below
(not yet impressed with Vista)
Can I place the contacts list under the files & folders that sit on the left of my email programme ? as it was in Outlook Express /XP

If not, could I install Outlook Express 6 or 7 and would it be courting trouble ?

chub_tor 17:51 01 Aug 08

If you use Windows Live Mail it has contacts on the left hand side. I find it is better than Windows Mail which is installed by default in Vista.

BurrWalnut 18:50 01 Aug 08

Sadly, the Contact list has been removed in Windows Mail. You could put the Contacts in the Sidebar, via the Windows Orb (Start) > All Programs > Accessories > Windows Sidebar then add the Contacts by clicking the plus sign at the top.

Now click on the Contacts ‘shaded’ box and drag it to the Desktop to give a bigger and better display as an ‘open book‘.

To compose an email, scroll down the left page of the Contacts and click on the person you want then click on their email address in the right page to open the New Message dialogue.

Pine Man 18:51 01 Aug 08

'If not, could I install Outlook Express 6 or 7 and would it be courting trouble'

Neither will work on Vista.

Outlook will or you could try firefox etc.

User-324448 18:57 01 Aug 08

Sounds like I will have to try your way Im NOT getting to like Vista and just might get back to you for instruction on how to run XP Proeither along side or in place of vista. Thanks for your help everyone

chub_tor 19:27 01 Aug 08

Yes the contact list is missing in Windows Mail but is there in Windows Live Mail.

User-324448 19:38 01 Aug 08

i will give Livemail a look in the morning Thanks

Sea Urchin 00:13 02 Aug 08

How do I display the contacts in the left pane in Windows Live Mail? I have the heading "Contacts" which opens the address book, but I haven't discovered the way to display the list as in Outlook Express.

chub_tor 09:15 02 Aug 08

Sorry I didn't realise that you needed the list open all the time, I don't know of a way of doing that. I just click on Contacts, highlight the people I want to send to and then click on email contacts at the top.

User-324448 14:57 02 Aug 08

I guess that this issue is yet another of the short sighted cuts made by MS. I find Vister cumbersome and a little flowery if you get my drift. I do not think MS talked to users before launching it, its a money thing, IMHO.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…