Can I open MS Works in Windows 8

itnein 15:59 PM 29 May 13

Hi, My grandson is trying to persuade me to buy a new laptop as my existing desktop pc is nine years old and only has 768MB of RAM and uses Windows XP. All the new laptops seem to have Windows 8. I have a number of spreadsheets and documents in MS Works 7 and Office 2002. Can I up load these original cd programs and transfer these files to the new laptop? Or, if I install the new Office package, will my existing files open in the new package. I really do not want to lose all my existing files and spreadsheets that I have been using for the last nine years on my desktop pc.

wiz-king 17:52 PM 29 May 13

You will have trouble with Works -there are lots of incompatibilities between versions and with anything the windows 8 compatibility program and see if it lists your programs.

jaywoo 20:16 PM 29 May 13

Free LibreOffice supports Microsoft Office and Works files. Install that instead.

itnein 21:28 PM 29 May 13

Many thanks for the info. It appears that MSWorks 7 or MS Office XP is not compatible with Windows 8 from your compatibility link. I am intrigued, however, by LibreOffice. I have not heard of this before but if it will open my MSWorks 7 spreadsheets and MS Office XP Professional documents it sounds absolutely ideal. Does it have a good reputation for reliability?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best Android apps 2015/2016: Best apps for your new phone or tablet - what apps should I download?

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Uniqlo uses your brain waves to find your perfect T-shirt

What everyone thinks of the new Steve Jobs movie | 21 Facts about the Steve Jobs film | PLUS:…