Can I get rid of 'Calculating remaining time'

Seth Haniel 12:54 19 Apr 08

in explorer everytime I move or delete an item - even a 0kb file this pops up and freezes the pc till its done (on my home XP pc I can copy 200mb files in less time than it takes to delete a 0 kb txt file)

this is a fast PC with plenty of ram - shoved to the dark ages by this nonsensical piece of Vista..

can I get rid of it ..? and how??

anskyber 13:24 19 Apr 08

This is a known problem although I have not experienced it myself.

If you have turned of UAC turning it back on helps even though you will have the "nags"

I understand that the full fix is in SP1 so if you do not have SP1 you should have the problem resolved (hopefully) when it comes down the pipe to you through MS Updates.

jarvis10@btinternet.com 14:35 19 Apr 08

some links to work arounds click here
some more click here
or click here works a treat, shame you have to pay money for such a basic operation.

Pine Man 15:32 19 Apr 08

This actually happened to me as a result of installing the full SP1 download - not the MS Update version.

Is that what you did?

If so uninstall cures it;-)

Seth Haniel 15:41 20 Apr 08

SP1 not downloaded -

and 635 pages in Microsoft forums without even a hint of a repair ;( and the fix quoted ' page not found

Seth Haniel 16:11 01 May 08

still no cure???

Seth Haniel 13:56 14 May 08

still no cure???

Seth Haniel 14:41 16 May 08

I know there are 635 pages on Microsoft about the fault but no solution
Patience is weasring very thin with this OS

Pine Man 15:00 16 May 08

The bottom line with this is that it is a known fault with Vista and the only cure that I am aware of is to install SP1 if your PC will allow it, which is exactly what Anskyber said on 19/4.

Seth Haniel 15:08 16 May 08

if I could find link to SP1 to try
but any update it dowes try to put on ie Adobe Acrobat update it gets to about 99% then decides It hasn't got permission to write to so-so registry file and then undoes itself - try in to unzip 284MB file at moment and looking in task bar it is now at 8days and 16 hours -
Think i'll go back to DOS 2 itt was quicker

Pine Man 15:11 16 May 08

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

An overview: What leading creative agencies are doing to improve diversity

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now