Browser hi jack

Blubottle 10:06 AM 29 Jan 12

My Browser (chrome) has been hi jacked with Isearch.whitesmoke. how do I get rid? my security suite is Kaspersky 2012. regards

Ibanez2010 11:01 AM 29 Jan 12

Run your virus scanner and malwarebytes anti malware.

Blubottle 11:39 AM 29 Jan 12

done that..no joy there also ccleaner

Ibanez2010 12:02 PM 29 Jan 12

Click the wrench and go to "Options". Click on the "Manage Search Engines" on the Basics tab, delete the WhiteSmoke search engine, and set your default search engine to your choice.

On the search engine line of the Google Chrome next to the star there should be a little blue square with the letters ws right click on it and click on uninstall. It will go away. It will be next to the Goggle wrench.

difarn 12:43 PM 29 Jan 12

This appears to be a very tenacious bit of spyware/malware. If all of the advice given about doesn't solve the problem you could have a look at using the Microsoft Malicious Software Removal Tool from here.

Blubottle 11:11 AM 30 Jan 12

many thanks, None of your suggestions have worked,it would appear that this is a persistent pest and will take some getting rid of.

difarn 14:23 PM 30 Jan 12

Spybot Search and Destroy comes highly recommended.

Woolwell 18:44 PM 31 Jan 12

Suggest that you post your problem here Kaspersky forumtaking note of the instructions before posting.

However have you tried running a full Kaspersky scan in safe mode?

Woolwell 18:48 PM 31 Jan 12

This may help whitesmoke removal

slatwater 12:43 PM 11 Feb 12

try uninstall and reinstall chrome, if not work, use manual guide to clean it away

Blubottle 09:03 AM 01 Mar 12

Thanks one and all, finally sorted problem the easy way control panel add/remove progs it was as easy as that,,, Doh!!

Advertisement

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to watch iPhone 6s, iPhone 6s Plus launch live: What to expect from Apple's 9 September 2015…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This installation lets you control a laser and sound show using your mind

Apple's special event invitations decoded: A look back at 13 of Apple's most cryptic invites