Broadband Help Please

spark79 21:58 05 Feb 07

Hello
I wonder if you can help. We bought a new PC yesterday as ours was on the way out, it came with Vista Home Premium installed. Until now we have connected to the internet with dial-up but as this new PC has no dial up dial modem we need to get broadband.

I am on the old PC now trying to find a UK Broadband provider but am encountering some problems finding one that is compatible with Vista. Does anybody know of any? Also we don't really want it to cost the earth.

The new PC isn't wireless enabled if that is of any relevance.

I'd be really grateful of some help here as this PC really isn't well and I want to get the new one up and running on the net.

Thanks in advance

Totally-braindead 22:39 05 Feb 07

Not that much help but I did find Oranges BB details(formally Wanadoo and before that Freeserve) click here they do support Vista but at the moment not on wireless.
And heres the BT bit click here

Ashrich 00:26 06 Feb 07

Buy an Ethernet modem or a modem router , plug the ethernet cable into the correct port then just enter your connection details via Internet Explorer ( follow instruction manual ) , you don't have to worry about Vista compatibility as nothing is loaded onto the hard drive , it all goes through the ethernet port .

Ashley

Ashrich 00:27 06 Feb 07

Forgot to say , this will work for any ISP ...

Ashley

Scooby71 12:05 06 Feb 07

I imagine that you can get a modem for your new PC, so you don't *have* to get broadband of you wanted to stick with dialup - though broadband has many advantages.

As previous posters have noted, an ISP will be independent of the operating system that you are running. If specific support for Vista is indicated by an ISP then it will probably be around detailed step by step instructions on setting up the access, but this should be pretty similar to XP.

click here is a good place for info on providers.

Scooby71 12:07 06 Feb 07

I imagine that you can get a modem for your new PC, so you don't *have* to get broadband if you wanted to stick with dialup - though broadband has many advantages.

As previous posters have noted, an ISP will be independent of the operating system that you are running. If specific support for Vista is indicated by an ISP then it will probably be around detailed step by step instructions on setting up the access, but this should be pretty similar to XP.

click here is a good place for info on providers.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How VR is being used to simulate space

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now