boot-up problem

rnsa 19:26 PM 26 Jun 11

Really urgent help please. On my wife's new lap-top I installed a windows update. One of two. One failed,one installed. I clicked restart now and the computer started to shut down. The screen then showed"preparing to configure windows. Do not turn off your computer". After two hours I assumed there was something wrong so I tried to turn off but it wouldn't,even if I unplugged it,so I removed the battery. Now when I switch on and try to boot-up I see the same message and cannot get any further. I would be grateful for some help please. Please also bear in mind that I am relatively new to computing also.

chub_tor 20:43 PM 26 Jun 11

Can you get into Safe Mode by tapping F8? You could then do a System Restore to a date before you installed the updates.

rnsa 20:55 PM 26 Jun 11

Thank you sincerely for your interest and time.

After trying several times since posting the problem resolved itself. It suddenly said"configuring service pack". It took a long time but eventually completed and I was able to boot-up normally

Thanks again.

David Nichols.

Pineman100 17:40 PM 28 Jun 11

David - at the risk of sounding patronising, I hope you've realised that the reason the update went on for so long was because it was a very big update!

You're very lucky to have got away without any residual problems, but I do urge you never to repeat your actions. Leave updates to install fully, no matter how long it takes.

I hope you didn't mind my saying that.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best Cyber Monday deals 2015 live blog: Best UK Cyber Monday tech deals, sales, discounts & offers

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

#AdventSauceJoyMince - generate a gratuitous Christmas tweet for #GivingTuesday charity

New MacBook Air release date, specs and rumours: 11in MacBook Air to be discontinued