Boot up after re-installing Windows 8

DerekL 15:54 29 Jan 14

I had to reinstall a fresh copy of Windows 8 plus 8.1 update and I had a Seagate 1tb USB hard drive connected while this was going on and when it had finished and rebooted it wouldn't boot. I dis-connected the USB drive and booted again and it booted as normal. I then re-connected the USB drive and it worked as normal, I contacted Acer and they suggested reinstalling Windows again with the USB drive dis-connected, so I reinstalled Windows again and updated it to 8.1 and connected the USB drive and rebooted but it still wouldn't boot so I have to dis-connect the USB drive boot up and then reconnect the USB drive and carry on as normal. Has anybody got any ideas why this is happening please?

nickf 17:33 29 Jan 14

Possibly the boot sequence in BIOS . If usb device is set to first boot device it will try to boot to your usb HDD instead of your main drive .

DerekL 22:12 29 Jan 14

Hello nickf Sorry I forgot to say my USB drive is not bootable, it is just for backup and general use and in BIOS the boot sequence is as follows: CD - internal hard drive - USB

DerekL

Bris 18:34 30 Jan 14

I would go along with Jock1es suggestion.

If you have a UEFI BIOS you may find settings relating to EHCI and xHCI in the BIOS. These settings relate to how USB2 and 3 sockets are routed pre and post boot. The EHCI controller relates to USB2 and xHCI to USB3 and its possible to change the settings in the BIOS to mix and match the sockets and controllers pre and post boot.

Its possible in your case that the socket your HDD is plugged into is being routed to the wrong controller pre boot due to the BIOS settings which is causing the problem.

BRYNIT 20:02 30 Jan 14

If as Bris the USB drive is being selected as the first drive, if it can't find the OS the computer will usually stop.

Before USB drives the same problem would happened when DVD-RW drives were set as fist boot and a blank CD/DVD-R was left in the drive.

DerekL 22:54 07 Mar 14

DerekL here, please forgive my absence to all members who suggested ideas for my problem but I have been ill and not been able to use my computer,imagine the emails I had to sift thru. Anyway I am sorry to say none of the suggestions have had any effect so I will just have to disconnect the USB Drive when I boot up which I have got used to now, I don't want to refresh because some of the programs I have installed I would not be able to install again. So thanks again for all suggestions.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac