Blank Screen

clarebearbarton 16:56 PM 26 Oct 09

I have a Vista Home Premium Sony Vaio desktop; it has been working fine for 18 months but yesterday a black screen just appeared; when rebooting, a series of red dotted lines appeared across the VAIO logo. I have tried to boot up in safe mode but it won't let me. It just wants to either open windows normally, which it cannot do, as I get a blank screen, or it wants to start the repair utility. I have tried doing a system restore back to an earlier date, but with no luck. Doing some research on internet, it seems like it could be a graphics driver issue, but without being able to get on in safe mode, I am not sure what to do - has anyone else experienced this or got any ideas?

Many thanks!

mooly 17:35 PM 26 Oct 09

Are you pressing F8 at initial boot to access safe mode... it's just seeing you say "system restore" which is run from Windows... or do you mean "last known good configuration"
Safe mode should load "generic drivers" but the fact you can't even access safe mode is a problem.
There is startup repair but you need a Vista Disk.

click here

Not familiar with the Sony... does it have a recovery partition that holds a copy of the operating system/drivers etc as it was on day one. If so you should be able to access that by a combination of keys at boot... but it's a last resort as it would format and wipe the C partition.

VOT Productions 18:47 PM 26 Oct 09

The screen is faulty.

Check by plugging in a monitor

clarebearbarton 19:04 PM 26 Oct 09

"The screen is faulty.

Check by plugging in a monitor"

Not sure I can do it on this PC as its all built in - hard drive etc into the screen

I am pressing F8 on booting up but sadly no joy

mooly 08:02 AM 27 Oct 09

Can you access the BIOS by pressing F2 at boot and get a stable display of the BIOS screen on the display. If that's a no go then you have major problems I think.

When you say it asks you to repair windows or start normally, is that with a "normal" stable display showing ? which would show the display etc is basically working.

What's the model number ? There may be some way to run recovery from a hidden partition.

It does all sound like it's seriously corrupted in some way or maybe even a hardware problem.

clarebearbarton 15:58 PM 27 Oct 09

I can access the BIOS but the display still has dotted lines running vertically down.

The model number is VGC-LA3. click here

I also managed to do a memory check today through the system repair and it came up with the message -

Startup Repair V2 Auto failover

mooly 17:43 PM 27 Oct 09

I have kept seeing this...,

click here

click here

I think it might be worth contacting Sony UK ? if that's applicable and specifically mention the NVidia issue and see what they say.
Sale of goods act etc if it's a known problem and all :)

clarebearbarton 18:30 PM 27 Oct 09

I have sent an email to Sony from their support site so fingers crossed - thanks for pointing me in that direction!

mooly 18:43 PM 27 Oct 09

Your welcome... let us know how you get on.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best Black Friday deals 2015 live blog: Best UK Black Friday weekend deals & best UK Cyber Monday…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The best Black Friday Deals for designers and artists – updated

20 Mac Power User Tricks... That You Didn't Know