Best practise: User Account set-up for Windows 7 for Developer/Tester/Techie

nzindian 11:07 AM 28 Jan 12

I am a Developer/Tester and have just begun setting up my new laptop (its a high-spec gaming laptop). I am paranoid about viruses and worried about my machine getting to cluttered with unused software, so I was planning on setting up/using my PC as follows:

-One 'Admin' account This will pretty much be untouched.

-One 'Standard' User account this will be my main account that I log in to everyday

-Virtual Machines

*I will install Virtual Box on the Standard User Account.

*I will use a VM for random surfing, I would like to do this from a VM to reduce the risk of being affected from a virus. This VM will probably be a linux flavour (e.g ubuntu).

*I wil have a seperate VM that I use just for online banking and checking email - also probably be a linux flavour.

*I will have different Virtual machines for different projects Im working on, because I like to keep my environments seperate. I can also install and play with new software and then revert back to a snapshot when I'm done. These will be mainly Windows VMs.

This is my first high-spec machine where I can comfortable run several VMs.

Is this a good set-up? will it secure my system? should I relax and not be so paranoid :)

nzindian 11:10 AM 28 Jan 12

Also the laptop has an i7 quad core CPU with 8gb ram. The standard account will have iTunes and some games installed on it.

markd71 15:48 PM 28 Jan 12

Are you for real ??????????????

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to watch Rugby World Cup 2015 online: Watch live, catch up on-demand & stream the 2015 Rugby…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

See immersive artist and storyteller Chris Milk speak at London VR event

What everyone thinks of the new Steve Jobs movie | 21 Facts about the Steve Jobs film | PLUS:…