Best Buy Pre-Order

chub_tor 17:15 PM 26 Jun 09

I can confirm that Best Buy in the USA have released the pre-order of Windows 7 Upgrade click here.

I don't know if it allows you to order and send to a UK address but luckily I have a daughter in the USA who can get the upgrade for me and who has confirmed that she ordered the Home Premium Upgrade at $49.99 + tax.

GaT7 00:14 AM 11 Jul 09

What's the tax for please? I thought it was $49.99 all in, no? Aren't many places in the US offering it with free delivery as well?

Anyway, here's a small tip to keep the costs down legally:

Tell her to send it as a 'gift' & declare this on the customs form - more info here: VAT and duty on gifts sent from outside the EU click here. Today's conversion rate is £31-32, so let's hope it doesn't cross the £36 mark (at the time of sending), & they don't treat it as a 'software import'.

Other info that may be of use:
- A guide for international post users
click here
- Importing computer software click here

dms_05 08:52 AM 11 Jul 09

The Microdoft US Store says:

Shipping Restrictions
The United States Microsoft Store cannot ship to P.O. Boxes, U.S. Territories, APO or international addresses at this time.
Note: Microsoft Store does not enable carriers to redirect packages to a new address after it has been shipped. This helps fight online fraud.

They also automatically apply 'free' shipping at the checkout - a bit like UK Royal Mail 2nd class service. You can then chose additional charges for swifter delivery - if you wish.

Amazon are advertising free postage in the UK on orders over £5 including the W7 pre-order available from 15 July for a limited time.

AlanHo 05:11 AM 12 Jul 09

I would not put it past Microsoft to frustrate UK users if they install a cheap USA sourced copy by providing only the US language and keyboard settings in the installation software.

chub_tor 20:14 PM 12 Jul 09

The tax is the local Sales Tax and as my daughter, who will be shipping it to me lives in Texas there will be 8.25% added to the price. Shipping is free inside the USA.

AlanHo, I hope that you are wrong about the language settings, but I will take a chance and find out. I am hoping that upgrading from the USA version will be an easier path that having to do a complete re-install of all my programmes which will be necessary with the European version that ships without IE8 so that it can meet EEC requirements.

GaT7 22:03 PM 12 Jul 09

chub_tor, thanks for confirming the tax. Yes, I meant free shipping within the US.

"I am hoping that upgrading from the USA version will be an easier path..." - you can also use the full version to do an upgrade. Minimum of Vista required though.

If you're using XP (or any prior OS), you will have to do a fresh install anyway. I believe a fresh install is possible with either the upgrade or full version. Don't forget to backup prior to whichever route you take. G

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best Black Friday deals 2015 live blog: Best UK Black Friday deals & best UK Black Friday tech…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This 4K screen is purpose-built for showcasing digital art

20 Mac Power User Tricks... That You Didn't Know