Best antivirus set up for Vista Home

swapper 03 Jun 11

My friend has Windows Defender, Malwarebytes, Superantispyware and Avast, on her Vista Home Premium Dell Laptop.

Is this OTT, sufficient or lacking do you think?

Thanks

mooly 04 Jun 11

Personally... OTT and resource hungry... others will disagree though.

I use Microsofts free security essential which is Anti Virus, Antispyware and also offrs Rootkit protection and Windows own firewall

link text

I don't use anything else other than Acronis to keep regular disc image backups.

It's vitally important that whatever you use, you only use ONE product that operates in real time and that you remove any previous software using the vendors own cleanup tools BEFORE installing a new security package.

swapper 04 Jun 11

Thank you for you response Mooly, my friend tried to install MSE, but it just would not install properly. I'll leave this open for a with the hope of more discussion,but thank you for your opinion.

mooly 05 Jun 11

If MSE doesn't install properly then there is a reason...

Read the first (the answer) to this and see the links, http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/protect_start/is-there-any-chance-of-mse-not-downloading/703b7f8a-826c-e011-8dfc-68b599b31bf5

mooly 05 Jun 11

Link is here, link text

swapper 07 Jun 11

mooly, thread not found but thanks anyway.

mooly 08 Jun 11

Just click where it says "link text" :)

Woolwell 13 Jun 11

Remove avast first. IMO Windows Defender is fairly useless.

Advertisement

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Should I upgrade to Windows 10? 8 reasons why you should upgrade to Windows 10... and 2 why you…

We are being sold the ability to spend money we don't have. And we love it

Encore creates eerie effects for Spielberg's new TV show The Whispers

How to use Apple Music in the UK: Complete guide to Apple Music's features

We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message