Bad hard drive,

rogar6 19:20 PM 28 Jul 11

Got this message when turning on my computer: "windows failed to start" "System registry file is corrupt, missing" My steps so far: removed bad hard drive
extracted important files with retrievemyfiles software to an old computer

Now I'm wondering what my next step should be.

Can I just buy a new hard drive, install it to the original computer, reload my files and be all set? Any chance it will be that simple? Or will I need to download another version of Vista?

Kevscar1 08:15 AM 29 Jul 11

Just re-install Vista from the disk. You will need tore-register it.

bremner 15:35 PM 30 Jul 11

rogar6

The error message is software [Windows Registry] related what makes you think you have a bad hard drive?

rogar6 21:48 PM 30 Jul 11

I was able to run a scan of the various drives and various parts of the computer and everything looked good except for an error in the HD. I even had an option of going back to a previous configuration date but was always brought back to the same screen that said: "windows failed to start" file/windows/system32/config/system system registry file is missing, corrupt

The computer was running very slow a day after I downloaded some software, which I think started this whole mess.

bremner 08:11 AM 31 Jul 11

Have a read through this Microsoft Support

Advertisement

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to watch iPhone 6s, iPhone 6s Plus launch live: What to expect from Apple's 9 September 2015…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Swedish schoolkids use Minecraft to redesign Stockholm city centre

Apple's special event invitations decoded: A look back at 13 of Apple's most cryptic invites