Bad hard drive,

rogar6 28 Jul 11

Got this message when turning on my computer: "windows failed to start" "System registry file is corrupt, missing" My steps so far: removed bad hard drive
extracted important files with retrievemyfiles software to an old computer

Now I'm wondering what my next step should be.

Can I just buy a new hard drive, install it to the original computer, reload my files and be all set? Any chance it will be that simple? Or will I need to download another version of Vista?

Kevscar1 29 Jul 11

Just re-install Vista from the disk. You will need tore-register it.

bremner 30 Jul 11

rogar6

The error message is software [Windows Registry] related what makes you think you have a bad hard drive?

rogar6 30 Jul 11

I was able to run a scan of the various drives and various parts of the computer and everything looked good except for an error in the HD. I even had an option of going back to a previous configuration date but was always brought back to the same screen that said: "windows failed to start" file/windows/system32/config/system system registry file is missing, corrupt

The computer was running very slow a day after I downloaded some software, which I think started this whole mess.

bremner 31 Jul 11

Have a read through this Microsoft Support

Advertisement

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Should I upgrade to Windows 10? 8 reasons why you should upgrade to Windows 10... and 2 why you…

We are being sold the ability to spend money we don't have. And we love it

IKinema aims to banish droopy shoulders and wonky spines in animated CG characters

How to use Apple Music in the UK: Complete guide to Apple Music's features

We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message