Backup/Recovery Disks.

nagonlouse 20:44 30 Mar 08

Brother has got a new Desktop with Vista Home Premium
as the OS. Made the two Backup disks as requested when he first got up and running and put them safe if ever needed. His question is how does he use these disks if ever his comp crashes. Are they same as a recovery disk?. Would appreciate a knowledgeable answer from then wealth that is on these forums.TIA.

skidzy 21:10 30 Mar 08

The backup discs will be the recovery discs.

He maybe lucky and have a partition holding the recovery/restore program also.Normally accessed via F10 or F11 on startup or even F8 that provides Vista's startup repair.

These are worth checking out before he goes to long and may need these functions.

Basically carry out a dummy run to see if these exists and they work ok.

Failing all this,treating himself to a version of Acronis True Image for those backups would be a good investment.

nagonlouse 21:24 30 Mar 08

skidzy

Thanks for the response. I just rang Brother and he confirms his 300gb Hard Disk is partitioned with 2.17GB as HP Recovery. You recommend a Dummy Run to see if all work. How would you do that please.

skidzy 21:32 30 Mar 08

To boot into the recovery partition (consult the manual) and try it out,normally three options are given.

Any computer i buy,i always check that the recovery process works from the off.

Also checking F8 and the safemode options are availble...new thing added in Vista and from the safemode on preinstalled computers is the Vista startup repair options.

I think everyone should check these first as they never know when they will be needed.

nagonlouse 21:39 30 Mar 08

skidzy

Thanks once again. I think that about covers what he was asking. I`ll tick as resolved and if he requires any more info i`ll get back to you.

skidzy 21:43 30 Mar 08

No problem all the best and good luck.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

Where HTML5 is headed next

MacBook Pro v Surface Pro 5