Backup not working in Windows 7

Throbber 20 Aug 12

My windows backup has suddenly stopped working. I keep getting this message: "Check you backup. A shadow copy could not be created. Please check VSS and SPP application event logs for more information. Details: insufficient storage available to create either the shadow copy storage file or other shadow copy data." My PC hard drive is 300GB, and the extenal drive target is 2TB, with 1.74TB available. The backup has worked fine for months. Any ideas?

Woolwell 20 Aug 12

I have no solution to your problem but simply state that I have had similar problems and have abandoned the Windows back up and now use Acronis.

Throbber 20 Aug 12

Thanks for that information, Woolwell. If I can't find a solution here, I may well do as you have done.

difarn 20 Aug 12

You may find this article useful.

jamieamunra 20 Aug 12

1- Click "Start," "Control Panel," "System and Maintenance."

2- Click "Administrative Tools." Double click "Services" and type your administrator's password when prompted.

3- Verify that VSS and SPP are disabled by seeing if the check mark is in their boxes next to "Enabled." Double click VSS and SPP to open their service properties.

4- Click "Startup Type," "Automatic (Delayed Start)," "Apply."

5- Click "Service Status," "Start." This will enable VSS and SPP to function again.

Throbber 08 Nov 12

Thanks, jamieamunra. Followed your advice as far as I could, and did as suggested for SPP. However, VSS does not appear in the list of services. Might it be called something else?

chunhat 11 Nov 12
  michmcma 05 Feb 13

throbber: It is listed as Volume Shadow Copy instead of VSS

Advertisement

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Should I upgrade to Windows 10? 8 reasons why you should upgrade to Windows 10... and 2 why you…

We are being sold the ability to spend money we don't have. And we love it

Wacom Cintiq 27QHD review

How to use Apple Music in the UK: Complete guide to Apple Music's features

We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message