Backup not working in Windows 7

Throbber 12:04 PM 20 Aug 12

My windows backup has suddenly stopped working. I keep getting this message: "Check you backup. A shadow copy could not be created. Please check VSS and SPP application event logs for more information. Details: insufficient storage available to create either the shadow copy storage file or other shadow copy data." My PC hard drive is 300GB, and the extenal drive target is 2TB, with 1.74TB available. The backup has worked fine for months. Any ideas?

Woolwell 12:13 PM 20 Aug 12

I have no solution to your problem but simply state that I have had similar problems and have abandoned the Windows back up and now use Acronis.

Throbber 12:43 PM 20 Aug 12

Thanks for that information, Woolwell. If I can't find a solution here, I may well do as you have done.

difarn 13:10 PM 20 Aug 12

You may find this article useful.

jamieamunra 17:28 PM 20 Aug 12

1- Click "Start," "Control Panel," "System and Maintenance."

2- Click "Administrative Tools." Double click "Services" and type your administrator's password when prompted.

3- Verify that VSS and SPP are disabled by seeing if the check mark is in their boxes next to "Enabled." Double click VSS and SPP to open their service properties.

4- Click "Startup Type," "Automatic (Delayed Start)," "Apply."

5- Click "Service Status," "Start." This will enable VSS and SPP to function again.

Throbber 10:08 AM 08 Nov 12

Thanks, jamieamunra. Followed your advice as far as I could, and did as suggested for SPP. However, VSS does not appear in the list of services. Might it be called something else?

chunhat 14:02 PM 11 Nov 12
  michmcma 23:32 PM 05 Feb 13

throbber: It is listed as Volume Shadow Copy instead of VSS

Advertisement

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to watch Sony Xperia Z5 launch live: Sony Xperia Z5 live video stream from IFA 2015 - watch…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How Google's new logo was redesigned

What to expect at the September Apple event: Apple announces 9 September event, sends out invites