avg install problem

conrail 12:07 10 Oct 08

trying to install avg 8 free on vista home premium after having to do a reset to factory settings but I get the following error message::
Local machine: installation failed
Installation:
Error: Action failed for file avgmfx86.sys: starting service....
Error 0x80070002
Rollback:
Error: Action failed for file avgemc.exe: starting service....
Error 0x8007042c
It was the 1st thing installed on the laptop when I 1st got it, I did have to install a windows download for avg to install, now I have the avg icon on the desktop but no program, it isn't in add/remove either windows or ccleaner options,
I have right clicked on the desktop icon and set it to run in win xp sp2 mode, even runnings as an administrator will not open the desktop icon all help gratefully accepted

peter99co 19:59 10 Oct 08

Do a system restore to last working point

conrail 20:39 10 Oct 08

thanks peter99co, have done that still same problem as system restore only allows me to undo todays avg installation, tried yesterday with same results but no option to uninstall either via ccleaver or vistas own add/remove and no previous restore points, only way I can think of to remove current avg is to reset to factory settings

provider 2 22:49 10 Oct 08

This of any use?

click here

conrail 13:51 11 Oct 08

thanks provider 2, I will try that and let you know, unfortunately while trying to sort problem last night I got a low battery warning message, I hadn't noticed that the laptop wasn't charging although plugged into the mains, turns out the part of the power lead that goes into the laptop has failed, still it's under warranty and store said replacement should be back within the week

conrail 20:18 22 Oct 08

tried that provider 2, got the message avgremover has stopped working, a problem caused the program to stop working correctly, windows will close the program and notify youif a solution is available, it appears that avg is not installed but under the start menu it shows avg fre tray icon, avg free user interface and uninstall, trying uninstall tells me that the product is not installed so I am going to try just deleting it

conrail 21:25 22 Oct 08

thanks to all who help, I have uninstalled avg 8 by deleting the icons and from the start menu, it appears the program was not installed, I have installed avg 7 without any problem, cannot understand why I installed avg 8 when we 1st got the laptop in January without any problems which only started when I had to reset to factory settibgs agter problems with vista sp1, once again thanks to all

conrail 23:36 29 Oct 08

Hi Guys, have had another attempt at installing avg 6 onto this laptop, gets to about 85%, saving not installing straight off when I get the following error message:
Error 0x800704C8: The requested operation cannot be performed on a file with a user-mapped section open.
help, what does this mean?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…