anyone know of any Vista Compatable Firewalls

Python33 19:38 13 Apr 07

i have recently got a new Vista laptop with the dreaded Norton installed, it doesnt affect the system as much as it did on XP, but i still hate Norton. i found out from another thread that Avast has become Vista compatable & im happy now, but Zone alarm is not yet. i looked at comodo but the website doesnt say if its Vista compatable.
Anyone know of any GOOD firewall's that are Compatable? then i can remove Norton at last.

Totally-braindead 19:52 13 Apr 07

Vista has a built in Firewall that blocks incomming and outgoing ( unlike XPs chocolate teapot one) so why not just use that?

Python33 19:58 13 Apr 07

Totally-braindead.
do you mean Windows Defender or the actual Windows Firewall in the security section? either way i didnt know how reliable they are, i used to use zone alarm & couldnt fault it so i guess i have similar expectations. & so far not convinced yet?

Totally-braindead 20:11 13 Apr 07

I did mean the windows firewall, defender is something completely different. As far as I know theres nothing wrong with it.
Unless someone else knows better.
Mind you some say a Firewall is not essential anyway. I use one because its free.

Python33 20:14 13 Apr 07

thanks for that, i used zone alarm cause it was free & very good at stopping intrusions.
i also had AVG Antispyware that was very good but again its not Vista compatable. so i might try spybot search & destroy.

Totally-braindead 20:24 13 Apr 07

When Zone Alarm create a Vista ready version you could try it then, in the meantime I don't see anything wrong with using the built in Vista one.

Perhaps someone else will give you a link to another free one that works if you're not keen on it.

Python33 20:40 13 Apr 07

thanks for that, i'll keep this thread open for now incase someone has another sugestions.

anskyber 20:40 13 Apr 07
  Python33 20:46 13 Apr 07

Thanks anskyber, i did hear about this site from a colleague, so i might try this & see how it goes.

SteveWH 21:25 13 Apr 07

Test the vista one with sheilds up:

click here

tullie 22:24 13 Apr 07

Ive tried the pc tools firewall,vista shuts it down.
I seem to recall reading someware that they have withdrawn the vista compatible version,but maybe im wrong?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Intel Coffee Lake 8th-gen Core processors release date rumours

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Framestore’s haunting post-WWII title sequence for new BBC series SS-GB

Best iPhone games 2017 | Best iPad games 2017: 162 fantastic iOS games that you need to play right…